Jumbo Chalkboard DIY

This weekend we picked up our new oven, yippy, and a whole bunch of packaging, which included tons of cardboard, plastic wrap, polystyrene and wood!

When we were unpacking the oven hubby joked that some of the wood looked like a readymade picture frame, instantly an idea started ticking over,


I’ve been wanting to get the boys a chalkboard for a while, but either they are too small, too expensive or would take up too much room, yeah I’m fussy!

This ‘frame’ was the perfect size for their chalkboard; I just needed to find a backing for it.

A month or so ago, we got rid of an old Ikea wardrobe, but we had decided to keep hold of the backing, just as well really, and just goes to show, a little imagination and you can reuse most things!


I helped hubby router the edges to remove the sharp corners, then gave the whole thing a sanding.

Using my jigsaw I cut the wardrobe backing to size.


I painted the frame a light green colour,


Using Plasti kote chalkboard spray paint, I gave the backing a few coats of paint.


Once both the frame and backing were dry, I flipped them both over and used grip nails to attach the backing to the frame.


Once secure, I flipped the whole thing back over, I have a stash of wooden letters, which I painted and stuck to the top and bottom of the frame.


A few scribbles on the board to check its ok, it is, and it’s already to go!


Not including drying time, this took me less than an hour to complete, cost me nothing as I had everything on hand, saved me at least £40.00, and is large enough for both Ethan and Ahren to use at the same time. 

The boys haven’t seen it yet, it’s a surprise for them in the morning, eekk! 


Linking to some of these awesome blogs

11 comments :

  1. Wow Amanda that looks amazing and I love that it was free and made use of items you had on hand.
    I bet Ethan and Ahren will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work - reusing all those materials! Looks fantasic and I'm sure will be put to good use!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic use of materials to create a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! what a creative way to upcycle old stuff! bet your kiddos are going to have tons of fun at it! i would love it if you would link this up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party! http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/2011/07/tip-toe-thru-tuesday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for a DIY chalkboard. Thank you for linking up at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com I can not wait to see more great ideas next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea for a DIY chalkboard. Thank you for linking up at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com I can not wait to see more great ideas next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may want to "season" the chalkboard by rubbing the entire thing with the side of a piece of chalk. Otherwise with chalkboard paint, the chalk from the first doodles will stick around forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute. I need one of those for my daughter.

    Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Warrior.

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. This Single Nester does not have a need for one but yours is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! You can never have enough chalkbnoards. Thank you so much for linking up to Upcycled Awesome over at www.thetshirtdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one! I'll try to reply to all comments via email unless you are a no~reply, then I'll pop a reply under your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10