Day 17 Getting Organised Challenge - The Mail Station

Hi all,

When I saw what Toni had instore for us today I thought 'oh, that's a nice easy one!'. How wrong was I? 3 HOURS, yes that's right, this took me 3 hours! Never again will an envelope enter my home and not be opened and dealt with.

Until today we didn't have a system to deal with our mail, it came, some we opened and dealt with, others were just put down in random piles all over the house, so to start with I went and collected those piles of mail.
 
  
Where did all this come from?

I sorted the post into piles, to be recycled, to be filed and mail for Spencer to look at.

To be recycled

I removed all personal details from the post to be recycled, (note to self: buy a shredder) and cut them into teeny tiny pieces!

I then decided to use some the same labels Toni has in her mail station, I got a tub, some cute paper, rub on's and my trusty laminator and got to work. I'm going to keep an eye out for a nicer tub, but this will do for now.

Cute papers!

I was feeling rather pleased that I had finally sorted this out, and put a system in place to make sure I don't ever need to spend 3 hours sorting out post!! I went to the dresser to find some card stock to make a cute label for the tub when I found this little lot.....

What the fudge??

It was at this point I wondered whether Toni has considered doing home visits, but a few deep breathes, a coffee and medicinal chocolate biscuit, and I was ready to then start on this stack of mail. Finally it was all sorted, hopefully I shan't be finding any more stacks like this.



Where possible I will be going for paperless billing, and will be looking into removing our names for those pesky mail lists that just send trash. Oh and buying a shredder, so anything we don't need can be shredded right away.

 No more stacks

The other upside of this challenge, other than finally sorting out the mail, is that I now have a spare notice board, which I shall be turning into my monthly meal planner, bonus! 

9 comments :

  1. YAY!!! Im so proud of you. This looks great and your life is now changed forever,

    Hugs,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I hope to make my file this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAWESOME! Totally worth all the effort, right? Great job!

    Jennie {Cinnaberry Suite}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot!
    I know the feeling - I collected the piles of mail from the main floor. I don't EVEN want to look at the husband's desk. Nope.
    Getting off mailing lists is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I wish I had cute file folders like yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow great job, feels so much better doesn't it? This was my favorite challenge cause it's made such an impact. Those folders are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! That is so hilarious...but, you are the reason why we organizing ladies LOVE to inspire!! I am so excited for you!!! Yay for learning organizing once and for all.


    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! Thanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10