Laminated Fabric Bunting



Follow my blog with bloglovin
I’ve wanted some bunting to hang in the garden for a while, but have been put off by the price of ready made, or to unsure of my sewing skills to make my own with oil cloth, so I decided to make my own bunting, using laminated fabric, yes you read that right LAMINATED fabric!


Here’s what you need

Fabric
Bias binding
Pinking shears
Template (optional)
Glue gun & glue sticks
Laminating machine
Laminating pockets

My fabric came from this sewing thingy, which was just to small too be useful.


 So I took it apart and unpicked all the stitching.




Make sure you iron your fabric, and on the wrong side draw around your template.


I used 2 different sized flags for mine; it’s a good idea to play around with the placement of the templates before putting pen to fabric to get the maximum usage.



Once I had all my flags drawn I used pinking shears to cut them out, regular fabric scissors are fine, I just wanted the decorative edge.



Now time to laminate! Remove any loose threads before laminating.

Set up your laminating machine so it’s ready to go, and again play around with the placement of the flags, you want maximum usage out of the laminating pockets.



Slowly feed the laminating pockets through the machine and wait for it exit out the other end.


Using regular scissors cut out each flag, leaving a small laminated trim around each flag.

Once all the flags are cut you can start gluing to the bias binding. Mine was a little wider than I wanted to I folded it half and ironed flat. Leave enough bias binding at the end to make your loop to hang it up with.

Open up the bias binding, insert a flag and using the glue gun glue the bias binding to the flag; I used the hot glue on the front and back of the flag.


Carry on gluing the flags along the bias binding, as I used 2 different sized flags I alternated 2 large 1 small 2 large and so on.



Once all flags are attached, snip the bias binding and make another loop.

And now you have some cute, inexpensive and weather proof bunting to hang in your garden!


Have you made your own bunting? If not, give it ago, it's surprising easy and looks fab!


Linking up to these fab parties below, have a peek on the side bar, you can find more awesome parties there!



sew many ways



Photobucket



Craft Link parties

Tip Junkie handmade projects



Creations by Kara



Katie's Nesting Spot

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


504 Main



”Thirty

30 comments :

  1. What a great idea - love it and your bunting looks fabulous :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a super idea! It looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I love that fabric too! It looks very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. impressed; although convinced that i stll could not do this; I remain remakrably un creative or technical

    weel done tho looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making my own oilcloth bunting for quite a while, and I agree, it is fantastic for outdoors. Mine stays up all the time! I use purchased oilcloth though...never thought of laminating my own, what a great idea (well it would be if I had a laminating machine ;)

    I see that you cut your shapes so that you had a little flat piece at the top edge to sew the binding into...I just pinking shear cut a whole triangle, and make my shapes so that they are all touching. The first triangle is the right way up, next one wrong way up, next right way up, and so on. I just make one cut down the 'sides' of the flags...hmm hope that makes sense...I have posted about my buntings but not a tutorial...perhaps I should do one next time I am whipping some up!

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amanda, I'd like to present you with One Lovely Blog award.

    The requirements of accepting this award are as follows:

    1. Link back to the blogger who gave you the award.
    2. You have to tell seven facts about yourself that others might not know.
    3. Pass the awards along to as many as fifteen blogs you have found recently.
    4. Notify the bloggers of their awards.

    You can find the award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! So adorable and I love the fabric and of course the versatility of the laminating! Thanks sooo much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party! Can't wait to see what you share next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That's fabulous! I never thought about laminating fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute idea!! I wil make a summer banner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, this is amazingly clever. I'm so glad I clicked on the link that took me to your blog! I linked up my blog to a linky party you see, but I didn't click on all the links, but am so glad I clicked on yours. I will keep this page open, just a little longer so that I can remember how to do this. Yay! I followed your blog for you, you can find me at http://louandjane.blogspot.com/ Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hiya visiting from craft couture and following too x what a grat idea and great tutorial thanks for sharing ,hope to see you at mine sometime
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!!!DUH! Why didn't I think of laminating!! Okay, so my local store does laminating for pennies. How is it holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very Cute!!!!
    I'd love it if you would link up over at the Glitter Party!!!
    http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekly-tues-thurs-link-party.html
    xoxo
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how clever of you - these look great! Here form the hop = Shah from wordsinsync. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea!! I love bunting and this is great because it can go outside. Thank you so muchf for sharing and for linking up to the handmade hog:)\\Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cute...especially for someone (me) with no sewing skills! will have to try it sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I really like this. I have flags already i two places of my house but no WEATHER PROOF ones! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute! I like your idea of laminating it. Thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it looks perfect with those pretty french doors! love that you laminated the fabric yourself... much more economical than oilcloth... especially when you repurpose something for fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is awesome! I love that you can hang it outside with no worries! great job. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great project for a kid's party. I saw you on Sew Darn Crafty by Sew Many Ways.

    Today is my blog's first linky party. Feel free to join: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/search/label/Funky%20Fresh%20Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely spring decoration! I love banners like this and you can keep it with the lamination..great. thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great idea - your so clever!! Thanks for linking up @ Today's Top 20!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow what a lovely idea! Great way to use what you had on hand! The fabric looks great outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cute banner! :) I never would have thought of laminating fabric...hehe.

    Tnx for linking this up at my party this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now, that's a great idea! I like that you reused that cute fabric too! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such an amazing idea. Very orignial. Thanks for linking up to Creation Mondays @ ~The Life of Me~!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amanda--very clever and creative! You used what you had, and that makes your outdoor bunting all that much more special!
    it's really pretty.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  29. I featured this tutorial on my blog! Congrats, grab a button from the post! http://lillianpearl.blogspot.com/2011/03/reusable-bunting-notes-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh man -- one of my friends just told me if I ever wanted to borrow her laminating machine I could! Little did I know I'd find your great idea and want to borrow it so soon! I'd love to make some of these to hang on my gazebo (where I spend the majority of my time in the summer!) -- thanks for the fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10