The sewing box that almost wasn't

Have you ever brought something from a thrift store, and from the moment you start working on it, nothing goes right!!

Let me present you with this recent purchase. A really good sized sewing bow, on wheels, brought for £5.



As with most wooden items I sanded it down and painted it a pale blue, but it just didn't look right.

So back to sanding it down, I’m so pleased I treated myself to a palm sander!

And then it struck me, I live by the sea!! Which makes it almost compulsory to have stripes in my home; blue and white stripes no less!

So I painted the whole thing pale blue again, taped some stripes around the box and set to with a roller and white paint. I shall never use a paint brush again!

I wanted to do something to the lid, so using more tape to make a frame, and these vinyl letters I stencilled ‘sewing and stuff’ in white paint, a fab find at only £1.




I love how it has turned out, at one point I was all set to give it back to the store, but I’m chuffed to pieces with how it looks.



Have you got any projects you almost gave up on, how did it turn out?


linking to these fab blogs


Primitive and Proper
the Trendy Treehouse


















Link up your latest project every Wednesday on the Elle Belle Creative Your Way Wednesday link party!







NightOwlCrafting


A Crafty Soiree

Comments

  1. So Fun!!!
    I love it! I hope you check out my blog too!
    B.Large

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Fun!!!
    I love it! I hope you check out my blog too!
    B.Large

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so cute! love the colors and the lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The box looks great. Yes, I have had lots of projects that had to go back in the closet until just the right "next" idea came to mind.
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! That's great!

    I've had PLENTY of trash to treasure projects that just don't pan out!!

    Although, that's not the case here... your "Sewing Stuff" box looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out great! I love the stripes. Thanks for stopping by! http://homestitched.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with it! I've gotten a lot of things that just didn't work out the way I intended, but eventually find some way to become something better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! My closet is full of unfinished projects right now--lately I'm good at starting things, but never finishing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a funny post!
    !!!!
    take care,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you believe it? I think it's perfect. Great colors!! I live by the sea too, and I think stripes is just so very perfect. Ohhhhhhhh, and I totally agree with you about a roller vs. a brush. Glad you decided to keep it. I'm like you...it turned out quite spiffy looking.

    Loved, loved, LOVED this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore this! The colours are fab and I love the stripes. Just seeing this in my house would make me smile and want to sew. Thanks for sharing!
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out to be gorgeous! I am in the process of trying to make a little quilted bag for my Kindle. Hubs bought me a sewing machine right before Little Bit was born in December 2009. Well after he came along sewing took a backseat. I never really learned how to use my sewing machine. The epic process of making this little bag has resulted in my jamming the machine twice and not being able to figure out how to rethread it several times. It's a little over half way done. It's hard when our little projects give us a lot of fuss!

    I am a new follower from the Thursday blog hops. Come and visit me at:
    http://socialstudiesmomma.blogspot.com/

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't see what you decide to do with it...It looks like a great find. Our family loves second hand shops...they are so fun when you actually find a treasure! :)

    Thanks for linking up with us today for the bloghop. I am now your newest follower. Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fantastic! Believe it or not I have never 'thirsted'. I can't ever find good deals unless it's on a clearance rack in Target :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your box looks awesome. Great job. I'm following from Friends & Giveaways. Have a great day.

    http://thecookbookdiva.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great find! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks amazing!

    Here from a blog hop and happy to meet you,
    <3, New Follower
    Tomorrow starts a week of giveaways on A Taste of T

    ReplyDelete
  18. That turned out great! I love the stripes. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta love it when something just "comes to you"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!