Decoupage Chair



Don't you just love it when you complete a project and your total chuffed with the results, this has to be one of my favourite things to have completed.

 I brought this chair a few months ago to decoupage, but couldn’t find the right paper.


Eventually, I found these gorgeous napkins, brought on line from Panduro Hobby, aren’t they just beautiful?


If you want to decoupage a chair, or something similar you need

A chair
Sand paper
Spray paint
White glue
Water
Paper
Varnish
Paint brush
Old rag

Firstly, I sanded the entire chair, removing enough varnish to provide a rough surface for the paint to adhere to.


After sanding, I removed all dust, and gave the chair a coat of Plasti-kote Super Satin Mint, after drying I gave it another coat. This paint is amazing, went on fantastically and leaves a wonderfully smooth even finish. I was tempted to leave the chair painted and forget the decoupage, maybe next time! You don’t have to use spray paint,


 I just find it easier to get in all the nooks and crannies with spray paint!


Once the paint was dry, I made up my glue mixture, no science behind it, just bung a glob of white glue into a jar, add some water, mix and tada! You have your very own decoupage mixture. (modge podge would work just fine)


I cut a napkin into strips, then working in small areas at a time, spread glue around the rim of the seat, then laid a piece of paper down, I sealed the edges to the seat with more glue. Using my finger wrapped in an old rag, I smoothed out the napkin, I wasn’t looking for a complete smooth finish not sure what you would use if you are!
Repeating this process I covered the entire rim of the seat.


 I then moved onto the actual seat, again working in small areas, I covered the area in napkins, cutting and tearing where necessary to fill in any gaps.


Once the seat was covered, I moved on to the spindles on the back rest, using the glue, tear and paper method to cover the middle of the spindles.


I decided to only decoupage the tops of each leg and the centre of the supporting spindle.

Once I had decoupaged all I had wanted, I applied a few more coats of my glue mixture, if you are doing this, do not apply to much glue at once, you will make the paper to soggy and it will tear!


Next comes the varnish, apply a layer of varnish to the entire chair, allow to dry, sand a little (this removes any pointy bits of paper) you can repeat this process a few times, until you are happy with it!


Now sit back and do a little happy dance at your handy work!

I haven’t decided where to place the chair, perhaps the bathroom, so for now it shall just sit pretty in the living room.


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
504 Main
Cherished Treasures”=

Tip Junkie handmade projects







Thirty Hand Made Days

42 comments :

  1. I just LOVE this chair! Wonderful job! I might put it in the bathroom. I wish I had space for one in my bath! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so clever - perfect way to really put your own spin on furnishings. I have an old rickety rocking chair that is due for a makeover...hmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fab! I agree, it needs to be in a bathroom (wish it was going in mine!!!!)
    I came by from Fun to Craft;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a fun project. Love how it turned out. great paper to use and love that paint color!
    ~Kimberlee, www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so amazing. I wish I had the patience to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, it's REALLy pretty!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This chair looks really great, and really cute! I'd never have thought to decoupage a piece of furniture with serviettes...but it turned out lovely. What a good idea. :)

    Tnx for linking up at Who Made What? Weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How pretty! I would never have thought napkins could look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just fantastic!! I love working with napkins but never thought of using them on furniture like this! I love that you left some of the painted wood showing-- this is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out so nicely...very pretty chair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This chair is darling. I love working with napkins for decoupage.
    Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a transformation!!! Great paper choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the chair, it was so pretty just by changing the color but when you added the napkins, it went to another level. I might want to put this in the bedroom but you can't go wrong where ever you put it, thanks for sharing another great project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, I am amazed by your creativity. I really love this idea and I like that the seat looks like one continuous pattern--it really looks painted, not decoupaged.

    And to answer your question--this is far too pretty to go in a bathroom. My vote is the bedroom, where you'll see it more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw you @ CRAFT love it

    I have never done something like this but want to try now.

    You can find me @ http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!! I am bookmarking this on my computer! FOund you on LambAround bloghop :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love redoing old chairs. I've decoupaged old tables with napkins like this, but never a chair. However, I love the way yours turned out with the cute patterned napkins. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a unique and fun way to dress up a chair. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love that you used napkins! the chair turned out wonderful!
    ~Jill from 'Just Dream, Jelly Bean'
    http://jelly-bean-dream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am in love with this chair. Amazing. I think bedroom...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute! I have quite a few extra chairs around that could use a face lift like this! Great idea and great outcome. :)

    Much Love,

    Trissta
    www.livingonthechic.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so into this color right now. I love how it turned out. Would so not have thought to use cloth. Amazing accent chair.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  23. The color and pattern are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for this tutorial. My dinner tables are in dire need of something fabulous like this. Are the napkins you sue the ones that are for parties? The ones that I've seen where I live are in the party section of the supermarket. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i absolutely am in love with this chair! beautiful, beautiful! i've been tempted to modpodge a tray i have and this just convinced me to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE the napkins you used for this!!!! And the base color! Very pretty! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's absolutely amazing! I would never have guessed you used paper napkins.

    I love the look of decoupage, but I'm scared to death of it. I tried it once and it didn't turn out how I envisioned it. Maybe I'll try it again soemtime.

    Oh, and I especially love how you did the spindles, leaving the paint as an accent in a few places!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This turned out beautifully! Makes me look at all those old wooden chairs in the second hand shops differently. Might just have to pick one up and give this a go~

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a great redo! I love that paper you used. Great job!! I love it all. And you are awesome with modge podge! I know I wouldn't be able to do around the edges like that!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm in love with your project! I LOVE Mod Podge!

    I would LOVE if you would link up your party to my What I Made Wednesday Linky Party! http://sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-i-made-wednesday-7.html
    It's going on now and you could get a chance to be featured! =)

    Briana & Sweet Peas & Bumblebees

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amanda the chair looks fabulous. I love teh print on the napkins - who would have thought! Fantastic job! Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today.
    Hope you are enjoying your week
    ~ Stephanie Lynn
    www.bystephanielynn.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This chair is awesome! Love the colors and print.Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. woah, you totally took this chair from blahhhhhh to awesome!!! haha. cool idea!! love the colors & flowers :)

    Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  34. hi! your project was featured today and made it to TSWL's finest May 2011 round 1. do grab a featured button and spread the word! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a great idea! I love how this turned out and what a great idea to decoupage that chair.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE this chair! Thank you so much for linking up this week at Inspire Me Monday! I am featuring this post, so feel free to stop by and grab a button! :)
    Crysta
    www.homemakerinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great idea! I tried to do something similar to a chair but I think that the paper I was using was just too thick because it didn't work out at all. The napkin idea is great! I am going to try that next...thanks!

    I'm a new follower to your blog. :-)

    Marie
    http://educatorssoliloquy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I definitely want to try this one day! Visiting from TSWL =)

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the easy decoupage technique. I love to experiment with different ideas and using glue and water gives a wonderful clarity to the image AND is easy and cheap, opps, inexpensive. Thanks again.
    Deb Cutler

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for the decoupage technique. It is far easier and much easier to clean up than my previous method. I just experimented on a trial board and am now scavenging my home for a piece to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have just seen this post *slapped wrist* - amazing amazing amazing!! Did you sand the chair down completely or leave some of the varnish on? I bought a desk a while ago to 'paint up' and so far I've only managed to remove the varnish off two of the drawers because it just takes so long. If I could sand it a bit and then paint over it though that would make a massive difference!

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10