Hooded Towel Refashioned into Toddler Bathroom Tidy



During pregnancy we brought a ton of those hooded towels for the boy’s bath time, and now they are 2 years old I’ve accepted that they are just too big for them. That and the fact they are getting very ‘precious about their belongings.


So with a heavy heart, honestly I could have cried cutting them up, I decided to refashion them into something more functional.

If you want to make one you will need to gather the following

Sewing bits and bobs
Sewing Machine
Hooded Towel
Fabric
Letter templates
Buttons
Ribbon

First off, choose the towel/s you want to refashion.

Fold two sides inwards to give you a pointy rectangle, cut away the folds and keep them for later.


Fold the two remaining pointy ends together, this gives you the shape of you bathroom tidy.


Cut out the names to attach to the tidy from your choice of fabric, you can either hand draw or use a cutting machine, I used stencils for my letters


Arrange and sew the letters on to the pieces you cut away earlier.


Place these pieces onto the front of the tidy, pin in place. Sew along the two raw edges of the tidy, cut away any excess fabric. You are now left with two large pockets; sew smaller pockets to suit your needs.

Make a loop out of a piece of ribbon, pin to the top of the tidy, and sew around the hemmed edge of the tidy, securing the ribbon in place.


Cut two strips of fabric long enough to cover the raw edges of the tidy, Place one strip right side down, on to the tidy, sew in place, flip tidy over, fold fabric under itself and stitch in place, repeat on other side. Sew buttons in place.


And now you have your very own toddler friendly bathroom tidy, I used a small hook secured to the side of a bathroom cabinet to hang the tidy from.



Now my toddlers are able to reach their own toothbrushes, tooth paste and face cloth, 
What have you transformed your unusable baby items into?

Edit: I have sewn a small piece of bamboo cane that was laying around to the back of the tidy to help keep it flat!


Linking up to





Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Photobucket



Thirty Hand Made Days





Weekend Bloggy Reading

14 comments :

  1. What a great way to use the towels that are so special to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea I just wish I was more practical like that. I would have kept 1 for their treasure boxes and put the rest in a charity bag.......Then I would have had to buy something for the bathroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive and very adorable. I am going to have to forward this to my sewing friend and see if she'd like to fashion this up for me.

    I only sew curtains and pillows, everything else gives me the willies.

    Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that idea. Too bad I don't have little ones anymore. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am now a follower of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! Thanks for sharing such a fun and practical project. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that! What a great way to hang on to something you really care about and make it totally practical and adorable :). I think my boys would love to have something like this in the bathroom, and I love that when it gets dirty, you can throw it in the wash.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely adorable! What a clever way of repurposing these and I totally relate to using the hooded towels until the hood part didn't even fit on their heads anymore.LOL! Thanks for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week~
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea!! I still have a few of my little boy's hoodie towels (why must they grow so fast!) - this is the pefect thing to transform one into! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a great idea. very resourceful.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! This turned out so cute! And it would be perfect for those cute towels my little guy has grown out of! Can't wait to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a creative refashion!! And they are very fitting for bathroom storage!! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays! I shared on our facebook page today FYI! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how this turned out! Thanks so much for linking this with my Show and Share party! I featured this project, please come check it out and grab a bragging rights button.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how awesome:) :)
    love it
    thanks for sharing:)

    have a great day!!!!

    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10