Sewing Machine Cover and Felt Storage Box



Last night I took part in the Friday Night Sew – In, hosted by Heidi over at Handmade by Heidi, and much to my surprise I managed 2 projects!






Handmade by Heidi



Firstly, I finally sewed a new cover for my sewing machine, the old one, the pointless plastic one that came with it when I brought it was looking rather sorry for its self!


I have seen several gorgeous covers all over blogland, I’m not that talented, and so I made a simple cover and included a pocket on the front to keep my current pattern / project.


The other project I did last night was a felt storage box for my ever expanding collection of ribbons!


I must start out by saying, this is not a tutorial by any stretch of the imagination, I kinda made it up as I went along, and I have included no measurements, as I didn’t really have any!


I started off with 6 pieces of felt, 3 of which I sewed together to make one long strip, this makes up the base, front and back of the box.


I used 2 smaller pieces to make the sides; once I sewed these in place I had a felt box of sorts!


Using the same process as above, I sewed a cotton ‘shell’ for the box.


I placed the felt box inside the cotton ‘shell’, after sewing these together I ‘prettied’ it up with some bias binding!


To make the lid, I used another piece of felt, sewn inside a cotton ‘slip’ which I sewed to the back of the box, using more bias binding to ‘pretty’ it up!


I attached a button to the front and a bow and bakers twine to the top to loop around the button as a fastener, I’m not that concerned with the actual functionality of the closer, it’s more for decoration!


Considering I totally winged it, I’m impressed at how well it turned out, I will definitely be trying this again but with a little more structure!





Photobucket

Comments

  1. Wow! You did a great job on both of those things. I should really join in on that party, maybe it would finally make me get something done. Lol. Guess it's good to have the pressure to make you do something, that's what I need. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool ribbon box you made... I can think of several things for which I could use a fabric box like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute fabric box! I found you through the Sisters of the Wild West Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both projects are very creative and practical. I love the idea of adding the project pocket to the machine cover. The ribbon box made of felt is very ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. felt!!!! i love felt!!!! haha. sorry. now that that is out....great projects!! Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!! Hope to see ya again this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!