Bathroom Ladder from Ikea Sofa!

Okay, so I’m going totally against the norm and show you the after picture first!


I’ve wanted one of those fancy smancy ladders for my bathroom for about 6 months or so, but I just couldn’t justify the £70 on a ladder I’d never even climb.

This weekend whilst I was helping hubby smash up and carry an old Ikea sofa down from the loft (by help I mean, shouting ‘pivot, pivot, PIVOT’ in a Ross like manner and grabbing bits of wood I wanted before he destroyed them) I got the idea to use the wood from the sofa to make my ladder!


Hubster cut these pieces out for me, I then had to remove what felt like a 1000 staples, I have 3 blisters on my hand, ugghhh the things we do!


Once I had most of the staples out, 1 or 2 snapped and I just couldn’t get them out, I sanded them all over.


I decided not to bother with wood filler, I wanted a kinda bashed up look to the ladder.

For the rungs I used the bars from an old baby gate! Genius idea, if I do say so!


I used one of those fancy drill bits to make the holes for the rungs to sit in, I’m sure hubby will be along later to post in the comments what its called! I just know its jolly good fun to use.


Once I had attached all the pieces together I had a ladder. I had to work inside as it's been raining all day.


I decided to paint it a ‘rain mist’ colour, neither blue nor white!


I had forgotten to sand the rungs, which prevented the paint from adhering, so I decided to decoupage them instead. I used the same method found here and here.


I wanted to add a little something extra, this little heart seemed perfect, a splash of paint and a blob of hot glue, and it’s done.


Here’s the ladder in the bathroom, I hate those pipes, they will be hidden away soon but for now they stay.


I love this, it cost me absolutely nothing and I completed it whilst the boys were having a nap.








Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Tickled Pink at 504 Main

33 comments :

  1. What a darling ladder! You are so crafty! :) Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. You're really talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's Hubby!

    The correct name for those "fancy drill bits" is not much more technical sounding... They're called "flat wood drill bits".

    Well done on the ladder hun. I shall use it to hang my undercrackers up to dry :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute Amanda...just how did you think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow did a great job. I am your newest follower hope you can pop on by my blog:)
    thanks for sharing.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Undercrackers huh? Not heard of that one before!

    Love this make, Amanda. Utterly genius.

    Thanks for sharing the link to the pattern for the sprocket/brockets (sorry, forgotten already what they're called). Love them though!

    Fabulous blog. I'll be stalking you from now on!! Love your newest follower. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely! And I love your Friends reference "Pivot!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute and creative idea! I could never do something so cute so quickly.
    Nice to meet you and thank you for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks wonderful! I love the fabric....I looked everywhere for a ladder like that and it never occurred to me to just make one. Duh! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what an ingenious idea...good thing your hubs was a willing partner...love how it turned out...thanks for sharing at ff!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's really cool! Way to recycle that sofa wood. I love the color in your bathroom and the whole vignette. Gorg!

    I'm a new follower!

    Popping over from Serenity Now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS, I love your header and button. Beautiful. Makes me feel all crafty and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's just about the most creative and unique idea I've seen in a long time! It turned out great!
    BTW, if you hadn't mentioned the pipes, I wouldn't even have noticed them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I can't believe you made that! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun addition to your bathroom! I really like the mod podged rungs...and I LOVE the Friends reference:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you made this from old items, it looks adorable! I had to laugh...we moved a week ago, and my husband and I kept yelling "Pivot, pivot!" all weekend, we love that old Friends episode too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is amazing! i love the decoupage you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is really cute - great idea!!! Happy Masterpiece Monday :O)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this and so inspiring. I have a ladder that I bought hoping to make it cute and I drape magazines over it but it is still the same wood color, so this is so inspiring for me. The is hope for my ladder. Oh and I love the Friends reference. Totally got it!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the addition of the decoupage!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh...that is so lovely. What a fantastic job you did!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantabulous idea !! Love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a fantastic idea! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your ladder looks fabulous! Thank you for linking up to Masterpiece Monday, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a clever recycling job! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. your ladder is so cute! so pretty! thanks for linking up at TSWL! Have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good idea putting the photo first, I was double surprised to see that you had made it from an old sofa! Great job. Thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good idea putting the photo first, I was double surprised to see that you had made it from an old sofa! Great job. Thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party.

    ReplyDelete
  29. love how you repurposed the old sofa pieces and crib pieces!
    way to go,
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's pretty cool! I linked this to my ladders post too, well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10