Hammerite is so very Hammerwrong


*No children were harmed during the ‘events’ which lead to this post*

If you have a tin of Hammerite, actually make that any tin of any kind of paint what so ever, check its whereabouts, especially if you happen to have twin boys who are around the 2 year old age!

Hide those tins out of reach, out your reach is even better.

Imagine you’re in the kitchen, emptying the dishwasher, when a little voice says
‘Surprise’

You turn around to see this!


This was the delightful sight I got, I kinda screamed, ran out to find the other kid and found this!


After frantically checking eyes and mouth, nothing there, I grabbed the boys and the phone and rushed up to the bath room, plonking the boys in a bath filled with water and a whole bottle of bubble bath,


I obviously wasn't using my best, "mummy is angry and someone’s going to be in a whole lotta trouble" voice, as when I called their dad to explain the situation, he laughed, sending him pictures didn't help clarify the gravity of the situation either, he said they looked like the Tin Man!!!! Stupid man!

The realisation that this stuff wasn't coming off them soon hit home,  so I resigned myself to having silver painted children and hoping I could pass them off as "following the latest European fashion trends" or something equally more acceptable than "Oh, yeah they got a tin of Hammerite and COVERED themselves in it. Doesn't it make their blue eyes just pop!!"

5 coffees later, their dad comes home looking suitable chastised, his mother has spoken! 
I'm ushered upstairs to have a relaxing bath, but I can’t have one as my bath now looks like this!


I manage to scrub off a little paint, I would have looked on the tin for any suggestions or a helpline, but the tin is covered in paint and surprisingly nothing of any use was on the internet!

Eventually the boys are sent to bed, dreaming of Dorothy, yellow brick roads and one day having a heart, I surveyed the damage.

The decking and garden table we had only just cleaned, ruined, not even the pressure washer can get this off.


The patio doors, walls and carpet


There’s more but you get the idea! 

And to top it all off, the sealant in our shower has a teeny tiny hole in it, we've had water pissing down the kitchen wall in to the light sockets, and how is your week going?

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear this! What on earth kind of paint doesn't come off kids? Look at the bright side though, you can paint OVER it on most things and be okay. Men always think things like this are funny because they are not the ones who have to deal with the mess. Sorry about the leak too. I hope things improve very soon for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs Amanda and thanks for the morning giggle.
    My twin brothers did something similar at that age with a bottle of nail polish and my parents bedroom.
    That was much easier to get off though.

    It's good that you can see the funny side of it and you'll also have the satisfaction of embarrassing the boys with these pictures when they are older.

    Hope you can get the paint off the boys and the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing!!! I hope tomorrow goes better for you. :( Thanks for the visit today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH GOSH! What a nightmare! That' just plain stinks! Mother's worst nightmare right there. So sorry! I hope you guys can get that stuff off eventually! Not fun :(
    And isn't it always that way with husbands. If it's there fault, they brush it off like it's no big deal but if the roles were reversed, not so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo happy to be child-free right now! I don't think I could handle such a mess :p


    I'm here with fun news tonight! Stop by my blog to vote for yourself - you've been nominated for my Best in Show award!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this is a whole lot of mess to clean up! I feel so sorry for you, but on a brighter note your boys look so cute adorable. Indeed their blue eyes look all the more blue....they look precious! Hope that paint eventually comes off.If it is oil-based paint then maybe mineral spirits might take it off and if it is water-based then it should have washed off. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments. Congratulations on being nominated for the Best Show award!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word! But, cute boys paint and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stressful at the time, but oh so funny reading about it! Well except for the stains on your carpet and deck and whatever else those cute little guys got it on! The one with the sunglasses does look pretty stylish :)

    Good thing they are so cute!! I have a two year old son. I can't imagine having TWO of him. Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! What a horrible mess! Your poor little tin men. ;-) And poor you for having to clean that up!

    I hope you have a great Mother's Day this weekend! You definitely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh.My.Goodness! Now that was entertaining (for me... I'm sure it wasn't so entertaining for you :) ). Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old boys and although your paint situation is much worse, have found them covered in lipstick and blusher, and the whole bathroom too...(Bobbi Brow too - why could it not be Boot own??) Glad you got photos - these are the things you will remmeber fondly when your a crumbly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely hilarious.
    Been there, done that, my twin babies are now 18 and it gets easier I promise.
    I hope you can read this now and laugh, always feels like the end of the world when they're this bad, but we found that wine helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This still makes me HOWL with laughter! Epesh the tin man bit *giggles* BRILLIANT

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that is one of the finniest things I've ever seen! The only time I've come close to this is with a tub of Sudocrem but it was nowhere near as impressive! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very funny post. Utter carnage though, you poor thing! Like Wally Mummy, we recently had a tub of Sudocrem everywhere but no DIY disasters, yet anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh you're the winner. On the scale of whose toddler has done the worst thing, you totally win! Thank you for linking this to Wot so Funee? I would hate to have missed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!