Scrappy Fabric Bunting

My fabric addiction is almost as bad as my scrapbook paper one, the colours and patterns are just too pretty to cut up.

The result is drawers full of paper and baskets and boxes filled to the brim with fabric.

A symptom of my addiction is that I’m unable to throw away even the smallest, teeny tiniest pieces of paper and fabric, which is why I have bundles of these…..


Now, I could either make a quilt out of them, might take some time, or I could make some scrappy bunting!


To make your own scrappy bunting you need to get together the following

Sewing machine
Scraps of fabric
Iron on interfacing
Cotton twill tape
Pinking shears
Fabric pen
Ruler

First of all, lay out your fabric scraps right side down in a rectangle, mine measured 22cm x 72 cm.


Don’t have too many pieces layered up in one spot.

Place your interfacing on top of the fabric scraps, and iron on,

Cut the fabric in half, length ways.


Using a ruler and pen, mark out your triangles, not sure what the technical term is, but to get the maximum number of flags out of the fabric, I marked every 5cm along the top edge and every 7.5cm along the bottom edge, connecting the marks I got my flags!


Repeat on the other piece of fabric.


Using pinking shears, cut out the flags, trim off any excess pieces of fabric.


Using your sewing machine, sew the flags to the twill tape, don’t forget to back stitch on the first and last flag.


And there you have it, your very own scrappy bunting!


I’m going to hang mine up in my craft room when it’s finally finished, but for now, here’s some of it on the fire place!

There's lots more bunting than this, but our fireplace can only hold so much!




Photobucket

Tip Junkie handmade projects

11 comments :

  1. Fantastic - love it. Found you at The Girl Creative and looking forward to linking up.
    Jen
    http://shimistore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are soo adorable! And I wanted to let you know that I featured your refurbed mirror on my blog @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/05/pink-hippo-party-29.html
    Hope you stop by and grab a featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo cute and easy! I have the same addiction, so I will definitely be making one of these!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Deanna @ www.shadytreediary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, this would be perfect for a baby nursery!! Thanks for visiting my blog, your welcome anytime!

    Angie @ http://inmysparetime2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and I would love it if you shared it on the Glitter link party this week! http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/05/running-with-glitter-9-link-party.html
    xoxox
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there - I feel you and have that same problem...I have made these banners in the past but they take some time and I also have a 10 minute attention span...so I have pennants cut but not sewn yet...but this is great inspiration.

    xo
    tina
    embellishments by tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. What a wonderful way to use up scrap fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey girl! Great way to use up some scraps! Love it! Thanks for sharing at my party. :) Chris
    http://usandthem1971.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea to use up your fabric scraps! It turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea!! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I have a big bag of fabric scraps too...this might be a fun project for my back patio.

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10