Ikea side table to toddler dinner table!


We have been looking for a toddler table for our boys for a while, but they were either too expensive, 
out of stock or just not what we wanted!

I remembered that we had a small coffee / side table in the loft which we had brought from Ikea for a few quid, hubby brought it down and with 2 small chairs we had a rather plain yet functional table for the boys.


I wanted to cheer it up a little, so after some sanding I gave it a few coats of Plasti-Kote in Baby Blue.


Using Microsoft clip art I gathered images which show food from A – Z, for U, I had to be a little imaginative and used an image of a cake and turned it upside down, upside down cake! Not sure they would ‘get’ ugli fruit!

 

I printed the images, cut them out leaving a small border, and used a small blob of varnish to adhere the images to the table. I decided to place them in alphabetical order, with an image of cutlery in each corner.


A few coats of varnish added to the top of the table ensure the images stay in place and protect the paint, and I have a fun 'new' table.


I wanted to make some 'flash' cards to be used at meal times, so,
.

using the images of the food items I made ABC cards, upper and lower case letter on one side and the relevant food on the other, these will be handy for teaching foods as well at the alphabet!


I’m so pleased with how it’s turned out, the table definitely looks better and the cards turned out better than I expected! Best of all, its cost us nothing, everything we had already, which has saved us about £70, woohoo!


Now can anyone tell me how to get a 2 year old boy to eat! Ethan loves his food and eats really well, Ahren on the other hand is going off EVERYTHING, even his favourites, I’m hoping this jazzed up table will make meal times a bit more interesting for him.


Linking to


Home workMaking the World Cuter More the Merrier Monday Craft o Maniac Monday Organising Mission Monday Pinkapotamus Beneath the Rowan Tree, Home Stories of A-Z, Todays Creative Blog, Show & Tell, Power of Paint Party, Someday Crafts, Sweetpeas & Bumblebees, House of Hepworths, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond the Picket Fence

22 comments :

  1. I have a set of those IKEA tables! You did a wonderful job with the design. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen those tables. You did a great job personalizing it for you guys. Very Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant makeover on the table! Hope it works for your boy eating! Both my girls went through phases like that! I just had to wait till they were ready again - nothing I did seemed to make a difference! Fickle kids!!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant job on the table! I love how creative you get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love the table, but I am no help with getting the little ones to eat.. mine doesn't eat,e ither!
    I would love if you would share it at our Weekly Playdate~ a kid and family themed link party... http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/06/playdate-link-party-blog-hop-14-all.html

    Cheers!
    Lori
    Come & Play :: Playdate
    www.beneaththerowantree.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was nice but the two boys are cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! I wish I had a little extra room for a table for my little lady. She would love it. I might use the idea for my craftroom though. Se wants to be there with me all of the time! I'd love for you to post this on my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party at www.laughloveandcraft.com. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Found you on Sew Happy Geek's blog via the Linksy Party. Your boys are very handsome! No wonder you wanted to make them something lovely. Love the table, its so unique.

    Rhi x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I have a hard enough time getting my 11 month old to eat, I don't know what I'll do when he's older:) I'm sure they'll love the table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this, perfect for kids. I've been wanting a little dinner table for mine, and now I think I might just paint an old coffee table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think you could have bought anything any cuter!! Plus having it personalized.
    Great flash cards too.
    Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to my Organizing link party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute! we used to use on of these until my son would no longer sit at it. ((he preferred to stand))

    i would love it if you would share it at my tip-toe thru tuesday party (open til friday) http://crayonfreckles.blogspot.com/2011/06/tip-toe-thru-tuesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow!! this is such a great idea!!! i've been wanting to make some sort of toddler table, now you have completely inspired me!! Thank you thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we just fixed up an old table that we bought from a garage sale for $5. I have been wondering what to put on the top of if.....this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an adorable table. Great idea. I am stopping by from playdate and am your newest follower. Please come visit me at www.funfrugalmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You did an amazing job! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely adorable. I love it! Ad your boys are so cute!

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this table, its adorable! Your boys are soooo cute too. My kids always used to go off their food between growth spurts, becoming more picky and eating smaller portions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this table, its adorable! Your boys are soooo cute too. My kids always used to go off their food between growth spurts, becoming more picky and eating smaller portions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did to this table! Thanks for linking up last week to Sew Woodsy! We hope you will join us again tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The table looks brilliant. Love how you jazzed it up, love the pictures you added as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10