Air Mail Pillow

Yesterday, for some random reason, I remembered when I was a little girl finding letters my mum and dad had sent each other, they were pen pals when he was in the army and stationed abroad. They fell in love before even meeting, ahhhh, I remember reading some and being amazed that my parents could be romantic and emotional, if I read those letters again now, I’d probably cry at the beauty and honesty of them.



Anyhoo, part of what I remembered about them, was the fact that they kept every letter and envelope, and those envelopes told as much of a story as the letters, when they wrote, how often they sent the letters and from where in the world they sent them.

It’s from the envelopes that I got the idea to make this envelope cushion cover.

I started off with this vintage ish looking fabric, no idea what it is, just brought some one day thinking ‘I’ll use it one day’.

My cushion insert is 20” x 20”, so I drew a rectangle, on the fold, 21” x 10.5”.
On the long side of the rectangle I marked the centre point, measured 10.5” above it and from that point used my disappearing pen to mark a line going back to each corner of the rectangle, basically, I drew a triangle!


I did this again on the 2 shorter sides of the rectangle, but these triangles only go to one corner of the rectangle, see photo for a much clearer idea of what I’m trying to say!
Once I had finished drawing the pattern, I pinned the fabric, and cut it out, once cut, and unfolded I had the cover!

Using a fabric pen I wrote a message on what would be the front of the envelope, I used paper underneath the fabric to catch any ink going through.


Once this was set, I made the envelope up, inside out, pinned the edges, and sewed them together, leaving the flap open. I then turned it right side out to add the remaining decoration.


To make the stamp, I used pinking shears to cut a rectangle out of grey felt. Using fabric glue I attached 2 fabric hearts,


I then pinned it in place and using my fabric pen, drew on a post mark, I wrote the date and place where I met Spencer.
I then sewed the stamp in place.


I love the look of old letters sent via air mail, so used some blue and red ric rac to make a border all the way around the envelope, I used fabric glue for these; my sewing skills aren’t up for machine stitching ric rac!


Once the glue was dry, I threaded a needle with some bakers twine, the colours just scream airmail to me, and using a blanket stitch sewed all around the ‘flap’ on the envelope.


To make an air mail sticker I cut a piece of blue felt into a rectangle, using pinking shears to add some decoration. I then used sticky felt letters to add ‘air mail’; this was then pinned and sewn in place. I then used sticky felt letters to spell out Air Mail. I pinned this in place and sewed it on.


I couldn’t decide on what type of fastener to use, so for now I have just inserted the insert and placed the cushion on the glider chair in our bedroom,


What do you think? Perfect for Valentines or an anniversary.




Comments

  1. Wow, it's gorgeous, combines so many memories. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely charming!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how darling, im here from fancy that!!!
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty and I love the memories behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute idea! My husband is a pilot so this would be a cute idea for my home!

    *Vising from Truly Lovely link party, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is great! Perfect for Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is in the Army, we dated before he left, but I fell in love with him through our letters. He is currently overseas and I'm waiting on my next letter to come in the mail. I absolutely love this idea. I can't wait to make some of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cushion is sooooo pretty and love the story about your mum and dad. How sweet.... Have a brilliant weekend, hun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautifully done! Each detail is exquisite.
    Visiting by way of the linky party at Homemaker in Heels...

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  11. So neat! Stopping by from the Homemaker In Heels Party. I would LOVE for you to link up to My Favorite Things Friday Party going on all week! Also be sure to enter my $50 Giveaway through Sunday night.
    XX
    ~Iffy~
    www.StayAtHomeNation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this!!! So beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet idea...I imagine you will see many versions of this popping up on the internet very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fabulous idea.Love your amazingly neat handwriting.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a nice idea! Love the details. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that. Such a nice sentiment:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful idea. I think that is awesome that your parents saved all those letters. Thanks for the awesome easy to follow tutorial and for linking up with us today! We very much appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is such an original idea! I would love to do one of these more my children's beds with their names on front. just found your lovely blog through the girl creative blog hop, off to have a good look around it now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a sweet story. What an amazing treasure to have all those letters. Great job on the pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are beautiful.. what a sweet, sentimental way to memorialize your parents romance. Love them! Thanks for your well wishes and for ALWAYS sharing with my Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Amanda, I just wanted to let you know how awesome your AIR MAIL pillow was, in fact I loved it so much I featured you over at TRULY LOVELY today. While Kassi is off enjoying getting married I came in to help her out, and pick out the FEATURES. So stop on by and grab yourself a button, and share it proudly!!
    FANCY THIS FEATURES #32

    Hugs, Bella :)
    **AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After Any projects, recipes, diy welcome.
    **PARTY PLANNING TUESDAYS** @ Euro Style Cakes. Any party planning tips, decorations, invitations, recipes welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sweet! My girls would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  23. love everything about this post. so sweet! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute pillow! They story about your parents is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks fabulous! Very innovative in your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea for a pillow! Looks like lots of love went into making it!

    Found you through Crayon Freckles!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are simply adorable! I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the pillow... but more than anything I love where you find your inspiration from.

    AWESOME IDEA!

    I'd love if you come and share this at my link party starting tomorrow until Saturday...

    You can visit my blog today and see some of my favorite projects from last week.

    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely memory and great idea, Amanda! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with us!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is such a cute idea! Thank you for sharing at the Weekend Warrior Link Party. :)

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so pretty! I used to love getting air mail letters in the thin, crinkly envelopes when I was young! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very Cute! Love that it is different!

    ReplyDelete
  33. i love it! so pretty! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so adorable! Such a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are so cute. Thanks so much for sharing and Linking up

    ReplyDelete
  36. These are so beautiful and dear! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is so sweet! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional party going on now. There is a really great giveaway going on with it. I hope to see you soon! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-linky-party-and.html
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a nostalgic project! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful, I'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So cool! What a beautiful project - thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Darling pillow! I love the story about your parents too!

    Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a great idea! I love it! I am featuring you tomorrow on SJ

    toodles~Halsey

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very pretty! I LOVE the envelope! Featuring this. Thank you for sharing with air your laundry Friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is absolutely beautiful. I love the story behind it too!
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. what a wonderful love story! And what a wonderful pillow! We love it so much we are featuring it on the blog today. the votation starts today, too! Grab the featured button if you fancy so ^^)

    Have a lovely weekend!


    Hugs,
    Lelanie

    ReplyDelete
  46. How charming and wonderful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I was so thrilled and honored to see that you linked up your wonderful project to "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17!

    I'm featuring your post on my Facebook page.

    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  48. I LOVE THIS!!
    And such a sweet, sweet story :))
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
    Thank you so much for linking up to my very first party!!

    Show Me How!!! ~ FRIDAY ~
    Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials.

    I hope it will be the first of many!! I'm looking forward to this Friday!! I hope to see you there!
    Again, thank you so much :))

    LOVE FROM TEXAS!!!
    ~~Michella~~
    www.michellamarie.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  49. LOVE this pillow! Thank you for linking up to Sew Woodsy last week! We hope you'll join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  50. congratulations on making it to the final round of TSWL's finest! yay! ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am "sew" enamored with this adorable project . . . would love to give it a try!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  52. congratulation on making it to the final round of TSWL's Finest of July 2011. Votation already started ^^)

    Good luck! and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!