DIY Decorative Letters

I’m almost too embarrassed to admit this, but what the heck, we still haven’t really decorated the nursery. And now our boys are 26 months old, we need to really make it more pre-schooler friendly.

I really liked the look of those large cardboard letters which you can decorate and display.
But, the idea of paying £4 for each cardboard letter, which if I messed up, would be ruined, didn’t sit too well with me.

So the wonderful hubster used some scrap wood and a scroll saw to cut these out for me.
Don’t they look great; see here for how we cut them out.


Once they were cut out and sanded I was able to paint them, and the best part, I actually painted each letter about half a dozen times, indecisive or what!? But unlike with the cardboard letters, I was able to sand back and start again, hurrah!

In the end I settled for a creamy white colour, we still haven’t decided how exactly we are going to decorate their room, so this was a safe choice, which I can always change later.


In their room is this randomly placed window, in the wall overlooking the upstairs landing!!!
The window shelf makes the perfect spot for the letters, still visible but out the way of little hands!


Sometimes it’s better to give things ago yourself rather than buy something, if I had brought each set I messed up, I would have spent £72!!! But having used some scrap wood I spent NOTHING! Yay.


7 comments :

  1. Nice job cutting out the letters "hubster". Love the cream color too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Sometimes, it is great to get ideas but do things yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the letters... simply darling!
    I was the same way about my little boy's nursery...it wasn't finshed until he was two and a half. A month later I found out that I was pregnant with another boy...now two and half years later I am just finishing their now shared "big boy" room.
    Love your blog!!! You have great ideas!
    -emily
    nestnestingnested.blogspot
    p.s. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am so impressed that your husband cut those. People would definitely pay a lot of money for those!
    (Found you via Simply Sweet Home)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look really good! I'm debating on doing an alphabet wall.. It seems like a lot of work though. I'm totally thinking Christmas too..glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great and your husband did an awesome job cutting them out! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great job you and your husband did

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10