Safety Whilst Crafting

Toddlers = Tiredness = Craft Safety Mishaps

You don’t need twin boys who are making the most of the terrible twos, to make you tired, but it helps!



Lately my little darlings have been waking up at 5am and when we’re really lucky, not falling asleep until 11pm, which means mummy does STUPID things when it comes to crafting.

Example 1

Do not ever, no matter how much you think you want to or need to, use spray paint in a cupboard indoors! wait for hubby to come home to help you carry it outside.

The back spray is ridiculous, and unless your house has no walls or ceilings, it is not ventilated. You will no doubt get a fine mist of spray paint on EVERYTHING in the room; carpet, furniture and toys.

And the bonus, when someone knocks at the front door, you don’t realise that you look like someone about to audition for the latest Smurf movie, yep I managed to paint my face blue, go me! Respect to the delivery lady, she didn’t even laugh!

But in all seriousness, don’t be stupid like me, the can says to use in a ventilated area for a reason!

Example 2

When your tools seem to become stuck, like my staple gun did, DO NOT, try to fix it using a screw driver and a chisel thingy, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing.


If you can’t fix it, it’s probably safer to buy a new one, do you like my new staple gun, love the baby blue, and it has a punch behind it, woohoo!


Example 3

The humble sewing machine, it’s been around for donkey’s years, and without it we would be really cold and unable to sleep cause of all the light coming through the windows, they deserve respect!

They do not deserve to be used by people so tired they actually think it’s a good idea to remove a bit of fluff from the fabric whilst it’s still doing its thang at something near a gazzilion miles a second. You will get your thumb stuck 



It will hurt alot, you won’t be able to free your thumb for a while until the pain gets so bad you have to wrench your thumb free. You will defrost a bag of frozen peas trying to keep the swelling down and will snivel for about an hour or so wondering how on earth you can be so bloody stupid.

I can tell you how, TIREDNESS!

All joking aside, these things and more have happened to me, because I’ve been tired, and crafting and tiredness don’t mix. Not only is it ridiculously dangerous to your own safety, but think of those around you. If you’re lucky enough not to cause either yourself or someone else injury, you could totally mess up what it is your working on, wasting any money and effort already invested.


The same applies whether your a crafter, DIYer or baker, all could be incredibly dangerous if you participate whilst tired.




Tip Junkie handmade projects

15 comments :

  1. You poor thing! I hope your boys let you get some rest so you can get back into crafting shape soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the laugh...I mean advice...
    I shouldn't craft while lazy...I always make stupid mistakes because I don't want to walk from the backyard to the garage, or the kitchen, or somewhere really easy and then I end up needed to make a trip to the store because of my laziness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post! Thanks for the laugh! Beautiful space you got here.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! You are hilarious!! I am your newest follower!!

    I can totally relate!! This was... IS... me right now.... off to get some zzz's ;))) Thanks for sharing and linking up to “Help a Momma Out Tuesdays” on our blog!! We appreciate it!

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh poor you. Hope you get some much needed rest soon. I've walked spray paint (red) all round our kitchen. I had no excuse - apart from being very clumsy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I have a lot of these myself =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are hilarious - oh, wait, I've gotten my thumb stuck there, though it was easy to get out and I'm pleased I didn't sew through any appendages. Oh, wait, I also spray painted inside the garage during a ainstorm, resulting in red everything, including me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been so exhausted lately - and have had to pull myself away from the crafting and baking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am useless when tired too. Thanks for the cautionary tale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Good read, but I feel for you!! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing through Kara's Look What I Made Linky Party. :)
    I'd love to invite you to share your projects at my weekly linky party….that I host every Friday. I think my viewers will LOVE your projects too. Thanks for the consideration.
    Tracy ~ Craft Junkie Too
    T.G.I.F Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been REALLY tempted to spray paint in doors... the heat and filthy screenroom floor dont seem quite so bad in comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm so sorry! These are funny stories but I can only imagine how frustrated you must have been in each of these situations. But this is great advice-I would love it if you could link this up to my new weekly link party Tutorial Tuesday. I think my readers could use this advice as well!

    Kari
    Newlyweds on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  14. So funny but oh so true!!! I love the part about painting your face. I haven't done that one...yet! Thanks so much for linking up with The Creative Spark! I really hope to see you back next week! Have a great weekend.
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sounds like a few bumps in the road! i tried spray painting the inside of our cabinets when we first moved in... i learned the hard way too! how'd you get the paint off your face? ((by the way, what a funny mental picture). thanks for linking this up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party! hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10