Fruity Bunting and a Sewing Mishap

I'm guessing you’ve all heard of bunting, but what about fruiting?

I suppose technically its still bunting, but as its fruit shaped I’m calling it fruiting!



I wanted something to jazz up the kitchen a little, its windows are small and face a wall so can be a bit gloomy on a rainy grey day, what better than some fun bunting to add a little flair!

I’m going to be totally honest, this project did not go to plan, at first I had all the good intensions to sew the pieces together, turn them right side out and press them all nice and pretty. But, my sewing skills just aren’t up to sewing small pieces with curves, the apples ended up looking awful, but instead of throwing everything in my scrap fabric bin I decided to unpick them and start over.

I wont show you the mess I sewed, best to just move on!

Once I had all the pieces unpicked, I paired them up again and laid the pieces right side down, using a brush a spread some fabric glue over one piece.



I didn’t go crazy as I didn’t want the fabric to get soggy; once it was covered I placed the other piece on top, right side up, smoothing out and bubbles or wrinkles as I went.



I then placed it to one side to dry, and carried on with the rest.

I repeated this process with the leaves, did I honestly think I could sew these,
 hahahaha to me! When both pieces of the leaves were glued together I pinched once end of the leaf to make it curl slightly. These were then placed to one side to dry.



Once everything was dry I paired up the apples and leaves and hand stitched each set to this too cute for words bias tape.



Whilst I was sewing I did this! 



What the heck!!! I didn’t even realise I’d done it; I obviously do way too much house work and desperately need that manicure!

Any hoo, once I’d removed me from my sewing, I showed it off to hubby who suggested hanging it over the door way, which I did.



So, what do you think, is ‘fruiting’ the new bunting, I’m also doing some pear, cherry and strawberry ones, not sure where they will go but I’m hooked! Ohhh, maybe I should do some pumpkins as autumn is on her merry way!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

11 comments :

  1. I love this! I think I will make some for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally lush!! It's super cute and obviously functional by reminding you to eat enough fruit :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. how cute. Reminds me of my aunts kitchen when I was a little girl. She loved strawberries and had them all over her kitchen. I'm having a link party on my blog today and I'd love for you to add this idea if you have the time. Thanks for sharing, Maria
    http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really pretty. I would make a great gift for my new neice or nephew when they arrive

    ReplyDelete
  5. For inspiring us constantly and being so awesome, we have awarded you with a blogger award! Come on over to check it out :)
    Britney
    http://jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com/2011/08/awards-are-awesome.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I love your idea of using pumpkins for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very cute, would look great in my girls' playroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really cute, Amanda! I think it was a brilliant idea to go with the fabric glue instead of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those are darling! strawberries always make me smile because i remember the smell of my strawberry shortcake doll when i was a little girl...

    thanks for the memories :)

    thanks for linking this up to my tip-toe thru tuesday party last week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun idea. I can't wait to try these in my new kitchen after our move. I know it will be a huge hit!

    Thanks for sharing. I had to feature this on my Shout Out Sunday this week!

    http://kimskandykreations.blogspot.com/2011/08/shout-out-sunday_28.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10