Lovely Cozy Pillows!


Pillows, can a house ever have too many pillows?


Nope, more the merrier as far as I’m concerned, especially when you have a 2 year old refusing to wear nappies, eeewwww! I know, nasty, like having a new puppy running around!

Anyhoo, a few weeks ago I snapped up two bags of remnants from my local fabric store, it’s a bit of a gamble, you really have no idea what is in them, but for £3, worth the risk!

Luckily, it paid off, and in one of them was a very generous sized piece of striped curtain fabric, which I decided would make some lovely cushion covers.

Being the organised and efficient mother, homemaker, crafter and blogger that I ‘am I haven’t got photos for some stages, you know, the whole beginning part!

The inserts I used were 20”x20”, so for each cover I cut 1 piece 21”x21” and 2 pieces 15”x21”, these would make up the flaps on the back.

{visualise inserts and fabric}


I printed out the words ‘cozy’ and ‘love’, cut them out and pinned them to my fabric.

I then cut them out of the fabric.




I’ll be the first to admit my sewing isn’t the best, and having never done appliqué the thought of actually pinning and sewing the letters to the fabric was a little daunting, so using a few dabs of fabric glue, I stuck the letters down, once the glue had dried I then set to sewing the letters to the fabric

I used the same process to attach 4 hearts to each pillow, 1 heart for each member of the family, ahhh.


Using 4 strips of blue fabric I made some bias tape to cover the raw edges which 
would be on the back of the pillow.



I then pinned each strip over a raw edge, one per flap piece, and sewed it in place.
I then pinned 2 flap pieces to each front piece, rights sides facing, raw edges together, one flap will overlap the other. I then sewed these together.



Once everything was sewn together I trimmed off any excess fabric, squared the corners and turned right them side out.
  


I then inserted the pillow inserts, fluffed them up a little and then settled on the sofa with some new comfy pillows!



I did iron this fabric SO MANY TIMES, is just never looks any better.



I think this will be my new ‘go to’ pillow cover style’ no zippers, hurrah!

7 comments :

  1. Found you through the thirty handmade days link up...these pillow are sooooo cute! I love them! I'm always so envious of people who can sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pillows are so pretty! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your pillow idea! I have done similar attempts with shirts...maybe pillows will be next! Thanks so much for your sweet comment about my repurposed window!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love anything with the word Cozy on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute! I haven't tried appliques yet, but I might have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are very pretty! And nope. A house can NEVER have too many pillows! haha. Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute pillows. My (almost) 2 year old refuses to keep on a diaper on too! Lately, I've just been dressing her in little one-piece dance leotard thingies so she doesn't undress & rip the diaper off. It IS like having a puppy! lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10