Window Frame Refashion, DIY
The more I saw of those repurposed window frames, the more I wanted one.
Having browsed the local charity/ thrift stores for some time I knew I wasn’t going to be picking up a window frame anytime soon, which left me with 1 option, make my own!
Whilst I doubt I have a career in window frame making, I’m beyond impressed with how this turned out. Other than my boys, this is my most favourite thing I have made!
If you fancy having ago at making your own window frame here’s how I did it.
Everything I used I had to hand, not a penny was spent, woohoo!
The cross bit in the middle, sorry don’t know what it’s called, is actually a spare part from the boys tree house.
The frame part is made from the wooden supports which made up part of the packaging from our new cooker, using a mitre saw I cut the wood to size, the horizontal pieces I cut at 57cm and the vertical pieces at 53cm.
I laid the pieces out and used some wood glue to attach the pieces together I then got a little ‘staple happy’ with my trusty staple gun.
Using short lengths of cotton twill tape, I stretched the pieces over each joint section. I used the staple gun to secure the tape which attached the frame pieces without the need for nails; I wasn’t sure how the wood would survive nails!
I whacked in a couple of extra staples, not just because I love the ‘pop’ of the staple gun, here and there.
Once I was happy with the structure of the frame I gave the whole thing a coat of paint.
Once this was dry I used my palm sander to sand it down.
I almost left it like this!
I then applied some Folk Art Stains Oak, I have to say the idea of paying for something which I have to apply then wipe off seams wrong, but this stuff actually worked great! I love how it seeped into the sanded areas and has highlighted the grain in the wood.
Once it was all dry I flipped it over and used my trusty staple gun once again to attach the cross bit to the actual frame!
I knew I didn’t want to use glass, too dangerous with my darling terrors, so I found my stash of acetate sheets; I have a couple with various patterns on and chose two to put in opposite sections of the window.
One with pink swirly things, which remind me of flowers, this I put in the bottom right corner and in the top left corner I used a sheet which had some green swirly bits going for the grassy tree look here!
In the other two sections I used clear sheets, all 4 are attached using the staple gun and trimmed where necessary.
Using 4 dinky pegs, hot glue, bakers twine and some triangles cut out of card I made some bunting which I strung across the top right panel. To give the flags a bit of ‘oomph’ I used sticky pads to give the fronts and back together.
I wanted to incorporate some of my favourite song lyrics, these are the ones I find inspirational and make me smile,
‘Don’t Worry be Happy’
‘Singin’ in the Rain’
I’m going to add to them and change them over every few days, at the moment I have just tucked them in the side of the frame, not too sure how to attach them in a non permanent way!
So here is my 'refashioned window frame' just goes to show if you can't find something, try making your own!
Linking to some of these blogs
Home work, Making the World Cuter, French Country Cottage More the Merrier Monday Craft o Maniac Monday Organising Mission Monday Pinkapotamus Beneath the Rowan Tree, Home Stories of A-Z, Todays Creative Blog, Show & Tell, Power of Paint Party, Someday Crafts, Sweetpeas & Bumblebees, House of Hepworths, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Beyond the Picket Fence, The 36th Avenue, Fireflies & Jellybeans, 504 Main, 30 Handmade Days, Funky Junk Interiors, Under the Table and Dreaming, Sundae Scoop, Craft O Maniac, ABC & 123, Beneath the Rowan Tree, A Round Tuit, Serenity Now, Freckled Laundry, Homemaker in Heels, Spunky Junky, Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots & Jello, J & M's Eye Candy, Organize with Sandy, The Creative Itch, Rook no.17, , Creative Spark, Gingersnaps, Blissful & Domestic,Keeping it Simple, Craft Junkie Too