Preparing for Christmas

It might seem a little early to be thinking about Christmas, but then again, maybe not, especially if you have kiddos and the grandparents have already been asking what they would like for Christmas!
As part of my Christmas preparations this year I’m going to be ruthless in sorting out the boys toys.
They are bound to get a few new toys from Santa, and in a house already overflowing with toys some definitely need to go!
I’ve been observing the boys playtimes the past week or so, and I’ve noticed that many of the toys are just ignored or hold little interest for the boys.
Based on this, the numerous broken toys and the silly little toys you get to ‘keep the peace’, I was able to separate the toys in to 3 piles,
{Keep}
{Donate}
{Throw}
This was the first time I’ve really done this, and it was both upsetting and refreshing! Those first toys, which hold many lovely memories, and those pesky annoying ones which either make a horrid noise or always seem to get under your feet, bet you know which ones I kept!
Once I had them sorted, I wanted to organise the toys into a more manageable system, toy boxes, in my opinion don’t work, they get emptied out to see what is at the bottom, and your left with a floor covered in toys!

So I gathered up a few baskets to store the toys which the boys seem to favour most, these will be stored on the shelving in the playroom. The other toys are stored in the cupboard of the dresser in the playroom, these toys I will ‘dish out’ when I see as necessary, I’m not being mean, I just don’t think they need everything all at once, this cupboard will be ‘locked’, so they can’t drag everything out when I'm not looking!


Next up was making some labels for the baskets and the cupboard; I decided to make them with words and pictures, this way the boys can help put toys away in the appropriate place and will also know where the toys they want are! Oh, and an added bonus, hubby will also know where everything goes too!


I used excel to make the labels and added pictures from Microsoft clip art, it was surprisingly simple, perhaps not as swish as anything done with Photoshop, but I’m very happy with them.


Once I printed them, I used a craft knife to cut out the labels, and then laminated them. Using a hole punch I punched a hole through the laminate and threaded a ribbon through it, I then tied these around the baskets. I used more ribbon to tie the labels to the boxes in the dresser.


I have also ordered a few storage baskets, with handles, one for Ahren and one for Ethan, these can be used for the boys to take the toys they want to another room or the garden and also help them tidying them away again before bedtime, these will also be stored on the shelving.

Comments

  1. What a fabulous idea and i love your sweet labels
    jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Smart! It's NEVER to early to start getting organized! I'm thinking with the kids gone today for school it's the perfect time for me to sort through the jumble! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I have to do the same. Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so organized! I am pretty ruthless in getting rid of toys but everything I keep just goes back into the toy bin. Looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some baskets for toys, and for now that's ok, but I really like the idea of the labels as my daughter gets older. Do the boys really put their toys in the appropriate bins? New follower from Org and Decorate:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, I lied, I'm already a follower. I apologize.:) Lol, I knew I liked what you had to say.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Christmas? I am ready for Halloween here in the States. It's my favorite holiday. Do you have something similar?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, would you PLEASE come do this at my house. Actually, I'm in the middle of the very same thing at this moment, but a huge pile of books and clothes and everything else got pulled out in the process. I can't seem to focus on one thing at a time...I need help!! Thanks for the encouragement...yours looks GREAT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas! The graphics you chose are adorable! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your organization.. and what a great way to justify cleaning out the toys.. toys.. toys! I know the feeling of it being hard to let go.. but needing the space!
    Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo party..can't wait to see what you are sharing next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!