Autumn and a boxy pouch!

Autumns here baby!!

I woke up yesterday morning to a chill in the air, which made me jump out of bed, bundle the boys up all nice and warm, I threw on some shorts and a vest then flung open every door and window to let the gorgeous chill autumn breeze through the house

Never have I been so excited and happy to have goose bumps, ahhh, I’ve been waiting about 8 months for this.

The drop in temperature even helped me knock out this boxy nappy pouch, I’d seen a couple around but either couldn’t get my head around the instructions or they weren’t large enough, with twins I need more nappies and wanted to ensure the pouch would also fit nappies in a larger size!

Oh, and I was trying to find a way to avoid stitching closed a seam, I’m terrible at it!

To make your boxy pouch you need the following


{18” x 13” outer fabric
2” x 1.5” outer fabric tabs
3” x 14” outer fabric
18” x 13” lining fabric
18” x 13” fusible interfacing for outer fabric
3” x 14” fusible interfacing for handle
12” zipper
Sewing machine
All seams are ¼ inch}


Cut and press all fabrics, and following the manufactures instructions adhere the fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the outer fabric.


Fold and press a long edge of each tab, then place a tab over either end of the zipper and sew in place.


With the lining fabric right side up, place the zipper right side up along the top edge, lining up both edges. 


Place the outer fabric, right side down, on top of the zipper, again lining up all the edges, pin in place.


Using your zipper foot, sew the 3 pieces together. Press and then top stitch alongside the zipper edge.


Repeat this process for the other side of the zipper, you will be left with a tube of fabric.
With the pouch wrong side out place it zipper up, arrange so that the zipper is in the centre, press.


Sew a ¼ inch seam along the open end at the bottom of the zipper, snip corners and turn right side out and press.


Using a ruler and fabric marker, draw a line 2 inches from the sewn edge. Using this line as a guide, carefully fold the corners in towards the middle, they will be triangle in shape, then pin in place.


Unzip the zipper, and sew the folded triangles in place, you will probably have to remove the extension table, it’s a little fiddly to sew, but you can do it!



Prepare your handle, adhere the fusible interfacing, fold in half, right sides together.
Sew along the long edge, snip corners and turn right side out.

Turn pouch inside out and sew closed the open end, turn right side out.


Using a ruler and fabric marker, draw a line 2 inches from the sewn edge. Using this line as a guide, carefully fold the corners in towards the middle, they will be triangle in shape, before pinning in place, tuck an end of the handle between the fabric pouch and the triangle of fabric, repeat for other end of handle,  then pin in place.


Sew in place, again this could be a little fiddly, but do able!


Push out all the corners, flatten the bottom and here you have a practical boxy pouch!


I’ve filled our pouch with nappies, wipes and nappy sacks, but they could be used for almost anything!


My Bad!!


You can see here I accidentally cut a zipper tab too short, it doesn’t make much difference and doesn’t bother me or the functionality of the pouch! I made this up pretty much as I went along, any questions please ask and I'll try to help!!

Comments

  1. Why can't I sew?...

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this--so fun and colorful! If you made it with oilcloth, it would make a great little travel bag for cosmetics and toiletries too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this post via The Creative Itch, lovely tuto! Thanx.
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!
    Thank you very much for a great tutorial. :)

    BTW, I'm over from "Sew Cute Tuesday" at Creative Itch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really great!! I definitely need to sew more. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my link party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/bedazzle-me-monday-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute pouch! I love the shape and that polka dot fabric :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!