Nappy Basket - Putting Some Cuteness into Potty Training

There is nothing glamorous or cute about potty training, especially when potty training two little ones at the same time, there are only so many puddles of pee a mummy can step in before she needs something to make the whole process a little nicer, don’t even get me started on poop! So I decided to make some nice storage for the bum cleaning accessories.


If you would like to make one here is what you need
{10 5”x5” squares of fabric A
10 5”X5” squares of fabric B
3 10”x10” squares of fabric C
2 10”x10” square of fabric D
2 3”x12” strips of fabric A
1 2”x41” strip of fabric B
5 8.5”x8.5” squares of stiff lining or card
All seams are quarter inch}

Cut and prepare all fabrics, I find it much easier to have everything prepped beforehand.

Place one A and one B piece right sides together, pin together and sew along one edge, making a strip.
Repeat for all remaining A and B squares.


Place 2 sewn pieces together, right sides down, arranged so that no matching squares are touching.
Press the seams in opposite directions. Place both strips right sides together, pin in place, and sew.


Repeat for all strips. You should end up with 5 squares made up of 4 smaller squares.

Place one piece on top of another, right sides together, ensuring that no matching squares are touching, pin in place and sew along one side.


Repeat for all remaining squares. You will end up with a long strip; sew the two end pieces together.

Pin the remaining square to one open end, right side together, lining up all the seams and edges as you go, sew all 4 edges together.


You will end up with a floppy basket; this makes the outside of the basket, put to one side.

Sew the lining pieces together in the same manner.


Turn the outside piece right way out, 


place a piece of card in the bottom of the basket. Place the lining fabric inside the outer fabric, on top of the piece of card, lining up all bottom edges. Line up the side seams and pin. Insert the remaining pieces of card, between an outer and lining piece of fabric, pin as you go, put to one side.


For the handles, fold each strip of  A fabric in half, right sides facing, pin and sew along edge, turn right side out and press. Fold the end in 1cm, press and fold in another 1cm, repeat for all ends. Using a ruler and fabric marker, make a mark 1 inch from the top edge and 2 inches from the centre of the basket, do this on the left and right side of the centre. Pin your handle folds on these marks, sew in place, I went back and forth a few times to secure them in place, repeat on the other side.


For the trim along the top you could use either shop brought bias tape or make your own, I decided to make my own.


Starting just behind one of the handles I pinned the tape all the way round the rim of the basket, making sure to get all layers sandwiched in-between the bias tape, sew in place. Stop about an inch before you get to the end, fold the end of the tape under and place over the beginning of the bias tape, sew in place, remember to go back and forth a few times.

Stock with your nappy changing supplies or whatever else you fancy!


Now that I’ve made one, I think I might make a few more; there are so many uses for a pretty storage basket. I know a few people expecting babies in the New Year, I’m thinking one of these filled up with some new mummy goodies would make a lovely gift and a smaller one with a teddy or something for baby!



13 comments :

  1. I found you via Lil' Luna - and I'd love for you to come link up at my Triple Linky Party that's still open! There's a link for Food, Crafts, AND a BLOG HOP in ONE!
    Smiles,
    Melanie

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2011/10/triple-linky-fun.html

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    {skipthehousework@hotmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! I was going to buy some square storage baskets just this week, but not now! Going to make my own! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aW cute...i am so not looking forward to potty training...ty still has a while tho..hehe he is not even a year and i am already not excited! ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial! I love your fabric choices :) Thanks for sharing!

    Cass
    http://casscansew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tutorial! Thank you very much for sharing. The basket is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous :o)
    i hope its going well, wellies may be useful too!
    have a lovely evening
    love jooles x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tutorial!! LOVE the bag!! I am now following you via Southern Lovely. I hope! you will follow me, too! God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our neighbors are having their first baby--this would make a perfect homemade gift! I wonder if I could pull it off?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A basket like this has so many uses!!! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet idea (esp since I'm thinking of sewing more for a friend of my daughter's who's having a baby soon)! Thanks for sharing this nicely written tut!

    Visiting from Making Lemonade: Refresh Your Nest Fri Linky party today,
    ~Smiles, Suzanne from NW Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soo cute, and a great tutorial! We just finished potty training my son...I cannot imagine doing 2 at once; yikes! He hasn't had an accident in exactly one week though, so I think we're pretty much home free!
    I'd love it if you'd link this here:

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-to-week-6-of-falling-for-crafts.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SO useful! What a fun idea--would make a great baby gift as well! Thanks so much for sharing this @ Show & Share! I am so happy that you did!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fabulous. I purchased a diaper basket years ago but yours is way cuter. I tweeted it out, I think it's adorable! Thanks for linking to Refresh Your Nest Fridays.

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10