Scandi Shabby Chic Candles

This is perhaps my most favourite time of the year, cooler weather, hotter dinners and snuggling up indoors whilst it rains outside.


Its 2.30 in the afternoon and it is already getting dark, I’m sure I say the same thing every year, but doesn’t it feel as though it gets darker earlier and earlier?

With this in mind I decided to make some cozy candle jars, I’ve always loved the Scandinavian trend of red and white, especially in the Scandi shabby chic style, which inspired these.


To make your own you need to gather the following
{Clean, empty jars
Strips of hessian
Scrappy fabric hearts
Craft glue
Lavender
Wire
Tea lights
Throw & snugly socks optional}

I didn’t measure anything for this, gives it more that shabby homemade look!

Make sure your jars are clean, and eye ball the length & width you need of hessian to go around the jar, include a slight over lap too.


Cut your hessian.

Add a blob of craft glue to the centre of each strip.


Cut out hearts, I used scraps from another project.


Gently, but firmly press a heart onto each blob of glue.


Flip each strip of hessian over, place jar on its side in the middle of the strip, add a blob of glue and press one side of the hessian on to the glue, repeat for the other side.


Repeat for all jars.


Using some craft wire, make a handle for each jar.



I know a lot of you would probably use Epsom salt for this step, but I don’t have any!! So I decided to use some lavender which I grew myself, add a few handfuls of dried lavender to each jar, the warmth from the tea lights should help produce a lovely scent!


Pop a tea light in to each jar, don’t they look gorgeous just as they are?




Once lit, they look stunning with the light coming through the open weave of the hessian.



I’m going to make a few more to dot around the home, such a quick and easy make, but totally awesome.


I’d like to say I’m now sat wrapped in my throw with my feet cozy and warm in my fluffy socks, but, Ahren is wearing one sock whilst using the other as a flag to start a race and Ethan is wrapped in the throw and spinning.

Comments

  1. love the look of the light coming through! am in search of a glass jar for something similar my kiddo can do. linking this up tomorrow??

    it's getting dark really late here too now. by 5, it's already street-light time. crazy huh.. do you get snow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple, yet immensely effective. I particularly like the idea of adding the lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cute! I bet the scent was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so lovely! They look great, and I bet they smell amazing too. I've got a batch of lavendar to hand so might try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and sweet- would make a lovely final touch to a table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those are super cute! Love the red and white snowflake fabric, it's the perfect pattern for a scandinavian style. And using lavender is great idea, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful illuminations for my favorite time of the year too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those turned out great! I LOVE them! and must make some now too! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This idea is so cute...a great idea for those little canning jars. I have a bunch of them that don't have lids, so I might give this a try. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate it! (I can't IMAGINE it getting dark at 2:30 - at least it's light until around 5:30pm here)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE these!! Pinning!!!

    Would LOVE it if you could share this on my link party at www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE these jars!! So cute! Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on the Homemade Stockings! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just beautiful! I am sure that you are enjoying them while you enjoy your children playing at your feet. Makes me want to curl up by the fire!

    We are having a Home for the Holidays link party on our blog and I know that our readers would these! We would love for you to join us!

    http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. So CUTE!!! I love the way they look lit up!! : )
    M.L.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe, so cozy and warm and pretty! Love them, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very very cute! And it must smell sooo good too!

    Big hugs from Indiana
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  16. This just gave me a great idea for my empty candle jar! This is so cute! This is also a great gift idea for my mother-in-law and Grandma-in-law. They are proud scandi chics!

    saying hello from Fridays Unfolded :)

    xoxo
    Myric
    http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely amazing. Cute, easy and so scandilicious. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this project! You are always so inspiring with the variety of your talent! Wishing you a fabulous weekend. Also I love your header!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these!!! They are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are so cute. What a great Christmas gift idea too!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I LOVE these...especially being Scandinavian myself...love the nod to their use of candlelight!
    Your newest follower here...found you from Homemaker in Heels. Hi! :)

    evie @ brown paper packages

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh!!!! I'm sooo going to try to make some! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm loving these candle holders! I featured these on Sew Woodsy today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm all about the red/white Scandi look too... I'm adding aqua as an accent and that's my holiday colorscape this year! Looks great, hanks for linking up your great idea to Refresh Your Nest Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!