Embroidery for cheaters, I mean beginners!!


I must admit I’m a fickle crafter!

Some crafts I seem to stick with, sewing seems to be keeping me hooked. Some I just I like the idea of and never actually get round to doing; scrap booking. Others I just fall head over heels in lust with, embroidery!

For my latest craft crush, embroidery, I blame Pinterest. I’ve seen some amazingly gorgeous creations which make my heart go all pita patter over the colourful flossy eye candy!

Seriously, grab a cuppa, and then type embroidery into Pinterest and swoon away, but first check out my little attempt at embroidery.



I mentioned to my mummy that I was looking for embroidery hoops, and the little poppit didn’t let me down. She got me 4 different sized hoops! Look at the size of that big hoop, who knew they even came that big?!


Anyway, I must admit that all the embroidery goodness was a little intimidating, so as I pondered as to what to do I remembered that I still had a few collections of the S.W.A.L.K stamps, volumes 1 and 2.


I grabbed a bunch and then decided on one I would want to embroider.
These stamps are un-mounted, so to use them I applied some EZ Mount to backs for ease of use.


I then secured my fabric in the embroidery hoop, and placed a pad of fabric underneath for some stability.


I placed my chosen stamp onto my square ruler (couldn't find the stamp block!) Added some ink, not too much!


And then I pressed the stamp onto the fabric.  I made sure to press down all over the stamp without smudging any ink. After I removed the stamp I had the image stamped on to the fabric.


I’m not fussed that it didn’t all transfer; after all, I can refer to the actual stamp!

Now the fun part starts in choosing which floss colours to use. I used to do a bit of cross stitching, so have a little collection of floss, plenty to get me started with, if you are wondering, I use Anchor threads, so pretty!




Once I had made my choices, I began to embroider.

I don’t have much experience so I used mostly back stitch, a few French Knots and even a few lazy daisy stitches for the flowers.

Here it is hung on the wall, I must say, for my first go, I’m secretly really pleased.


I’m so pleased that it didn’t turn out absolutely poop, hopefully the more I do the better they will turn out.

Oh, and I got the best seal of approval, Ahren was sat with me whilst I was working on this and said ‘Mummy, your picture is wonderful!’.  Isn't he a cutie!



This is a nice way to start the New Year, learning a new craft which I’m actually really enjoying. Are you learning a new craft, which one.


Photobucket



Linking up to some of these

Northern CottageHome workMaking the World Cuter, French Country Cottage More the Merrier Monday Craft o Maniac Monday Organising Mission Monday Pinkapotamus Beneath the Rowan TreeHome Stories of A-Z, Todays Creative BlogShow & Tell, Power of Paint PartySomeday CraftsHouse of HepworthsThe Shabby Chic CottageBeyond the Picket FenceThe 36th AvenueFireflies & Jellybeans504 Main30 Handmade DaysFunky Junk InteriorsUnder the Table and DreamingSundae ScoopCraft O ManiacABC & 123Beneath the Rowan Tree, A Round Tuit, Serenity NowFreckled Laundry, Homemaker in HeelsSpunky JunkyFunky Junk InteriorsJ & M's Eye Candy, Organize with SandyThe Creative ItchRook no.17,  Creative SparkGingersnapsBlissful & Domestic,Keeping it SimpleCraft Junkie TooSimply DesigningMaking Lemonade, Truly Lovely BlogChic on a Shoestring Decorating, Cherished BlissYour Whims Wednesday, Lil' LunaCrafty ConfessionsSugar Bee CraftsSew WoodsyWicked Awesome WednesdayHome for the HolidaysMy Repurposed  Life

17 comments :

  1. I love embroidery and am stitching some quilt blocks (still...started in May!).

    This year, I think I'm going to tackle crochet. My wardrobe could use more slouchy beanies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embroidery is so much fun! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever of you to use a stamp! I´m sorry if I write pourly but I´m not used to write in english, but I follow your blog and find it very intresting1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love embroidery too. I started embrodering as a kid and I wish I had more time to do it now. I find it relaxing.
    You did a great job! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful 1st embroidery attempt!! It came out great :0) I have tute I want to try that uses a small embroidery hoop with the saying "Be here now" [I am personally working on being more mindful and in the moment rather than thinking about all the shoulds and the things I need to get done, so its very applicable to where I'm at right now). It has some decoration, but not an actual picture. Thank you for you sharing and for your inspiration!! We'll see if you have found a new addiction!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Embroidery is one craft I haven't got around to yet. I'm not sure I have the patience for it (but it looks so pretty). Hmmm, add it on the list of one days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a GREAT idea!! I've stamped onto fabric before but didn't think of using the image to embroider over! I'm not great at freestyle embroidery so wasn't sure how to make great pictures. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project! Great for beginners! Won't you consider sharing it with my readers at sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/01/architectural-salvage-jewelry.html. Thanks! Happy New Year!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out adorable! I love hand embroidery...so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a clever idea. I don't really embroider but started my 7yr old off on some yesterday (I'd ban her from playing on the DS!) and she quite enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a good idea, I love the stamp !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! I positively love it! It's so sweet! I would love for you to link up with my party at: http://anoriginalbelle.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-it-yourself-monday-10-link-up.html

    Thanks so much! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just doing a blog post at the moment and I'm gonna post a link to this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out great! Thanks for sharing @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are super talented - what a cute embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i used to love to embroider as a teenager. never thought of using a stamp as the pattern! quite crafty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10