Adding some Spring to the Winter gloom ~ decoupaged table top

Anyone else feel as though they need a little Spring in their lives?

I thought I would make a start on brightening the place up by revamping a few pieces around the house, nothing major just little tweaks which will add fun pops of colour.

Last year I painted these side tables, Ahren has since commandeered the smaller one and the larger of the two was looking a little sorry for itself.


One of the boy’s comics got stuck on the table top and left a bit of paper behind.
I decided this would be perfect for a little revamp.

I've done a few decoupage projects before, always with napkins, this time I decided to use fabric!!


If you want to have a go at fabric decoupage here is what you need

{Piece of furniture
Fabric, nothing too thick
PVA glue
Varnish
Sandpaper}

Firstly I cleaned and sanded the table top.


I then made up my glue mixture, I find that 2/3rd PVA glue to 1/3rd water works well; you can always add more of either if required.


Working in small areas, I applied the glue mixture to the table top, and then lay a piece of fabric on top. Using a brush I smoothed down the edges.


{The fabric will stretch and distort if moved too much and to vigorously!}
{Try to remove any straggly bits of cotton}

I continued this process until the entire table top was covered.


I applied several coats of glue mixture to the fabric covering the table top, allowing each coat to dry before applying more.

                Once the fabric had hardened, leave over night if you can, I applied several coats of clear varnish, this protects the fabric from spills and other accidents likely to mess it up! 

Again I left each coat to dry before applying another, the number you will require will depend on the type and thickness of the fabric.

Now I have a lovely new table top!


I can’t decide what colour, if any I will paint the table legs, so for now I shall leave it alone.


Makes a lovely colourful addition, especially when adorned with a few bits n bobs!

This little basket was a gift set with some tulip bulbs the boys got me last year, the bulbs have long since been planted out in the garden and the basket was looking very sorry for itself.

A quick clean up and a coat of paint, it looks good as new!


The little {LOVE} sign is one hubby cut out for me, talented chap, another quick paint job and it looks perfect!





Are you doing anything to add some cheerfulness to the Winter gloom?
  



Photobucket


Linking up to some of these blogs




Photobucket


Northern CottageCherished TreasuresHome workMaking the World Cuter, French Country Cottage, More the Merrier Monday Craft o Maniac Monday Organising Mission Monday Pinkapotamus Beneath the Rowan TreeHome Stories of A-Z, Todays Creative BlogShow & Tell, Power of Paint PartySomeday CraftsHouse of HepworthsThe Shabby Chic CottageBeyond the Picket FenceThe 36th AvenueFireflies & Jellybeans504 Main30 Handmade DaysFunky Junk InteriorsUnder the Table and DreamingSundae ScoopCraft O ManiacABC & 123Beneath the Rowan Tree, A Round Tuit, Serenity NowFreckled Laundry, Homemaker in HeelsSpunky JunkyFunky Junk InteriorsJ & M's Eye Candy, Organize with SandyThe Creative ItchRook no.17,  Creative SparkGingersnapsBlissful & Domestic,Keeping it SimpleCraft Junkie TooSimply DesigningMaking Lemonade, Truly Lovely BlogChic on a Shoestring Decorating, Cherished BlissYour Whims Wednesday, Lil' LunaCrafty ConfessionsSugar Bee CraftsSew WoodsyWicked Awesome WednesdayHome for the HolidaysMy Repurposed  LifeThe Tattered Tag, A Little Tipsy, Momnivores Dilemma 

24 comments :

  1. OH I just A-dore this! Love the fabric colors and the table color.. what a great revamp!
    Must also be nice to add a little Pink into your world of blue with all of those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Its so pretty and you're right it just oozes Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the table and your other bits and bobs you have changed, you are so good at this! love your basket full of hearts :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun! I had never thought to decoupage fabric to furniture before, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh that is awesome! so neat and fun. i love the basket revamp, too.

    mybagofsunshine.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable!! Hoping you can link this up at my turquoise lovin' party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2012/02/turquoise-lovin-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice job :)

    Love for you to share it at my linky party here if you haven't already :)
    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-18-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey there! newly following from the blog hop... would love for you to follow back, if ya like :)
    the table looks awesome!!!

    xo,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the two different patterns! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This table is amazing. I love the fabric choice. It is perfect for spring. Fabulous job!!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blog Hopping - I've followed you via Linky Followers. Would love if you would follow me back.

    Thank you,
    Jeneen @ Suzie HomeCaker
    suziehc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've never used fabric! will definitely have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That table came out so cute! I want to try a project like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the table, nice job. Also, the stuffed hearts are a cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i never thought about decoupaging in the way that you did with that side table here. interesting.

    I am actually coming to your site from the FOLLOWER linky blog hop, and am following you ! :-) Will you follow me back?? Thank you so much when you do.

    PLUS: There is also a party on our blog, where you can feature 'your best creative work'. There are some great projects to see already, but we want to see your work!

    Use this link both to FOLLOW and to PARTY:
    http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party/

    Hope to seeing you around!!
    Have a happy, creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is too cute!! A perfect spring pick me up! Im your neweste linky follower! Found you on a Blog Hop....would love for you to follow me 2! Would love for you to link up some of your great projects on my wednesday "Homemade by you" link party!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love you ideas! I have been linky blog hopping all day and have met the most talented and amazing people. I am glad I found your blog and am now following you on linky followers. Please visit my blog and possible follow me also.
    My Turn (for us)
    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found you on www.itssoverycheri.com's Linky Followers Blog Hop. I'm your newest follower, I'd love for you to follow back!

    Thanks so much and Have a Wonderful Evening!
    Aledia @ http://plumperfect.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never tried decoupage but want to. Thanks for the inspiration. I would love for you to share at my weekly fri-monday linky.

    ReplyDelete
  20. New Linky and GFC follower! hope you follow back!

    http://giveawayhog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I found you on linky blog hop. I now follow you and hope you will follow me too please.
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration. I'm your new follower on Linky. I'd love if you follow me back :D

    Thanks
    Witha @ http://withapinkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your stool and all of your projects! Thank you so much for linking up and for the inspiration!!!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your projects are beautiful and bright Amanda. How did you paint the basket, and what kind of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10