Cleaning Up Your RSS Feed

My blog, like most out there has a few different ways for folk to follow; Linky Followers, GFC, Bloglovin’ and plain old ‘follow by email’, what I didn’t know was that most of these things depend on your RSS feed being clean and healthy.
I’m not going to get to technical, I sorted out my Feed issues mostly by sheer dumb luck!
To check the health of your Feed
First of all go to FeedBurner, and log in.
A screen with details of your Feeds will pop up, must admit I was beyond happy when I saw how many peeps are following via this.
From here click on the tab for ‘My Account’, which will take you to your account details, on the left hand side is another menu, click on the ‘FeedBulletin’ tab.
Here you will be able to see what is wrong with your Feed, I was getting the following message
{PROBLEM: FeedMedic Alert for CityGirlGoneCoastal
Posted: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 08:37:24 PDT
FeedBurner had trouble retrieving your Source Feed:
http://citygirlgonecoastal.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Error getting URL: 502 - Maximum allowed response size is 576K.}
I never realised that there was a size limit, and if you go over, your Feed just won’t be read by FeedBurner and followers will stop getting your Feed updates. FeedBurners size limit is 512k, this doesn’t include photos, luckily there is an easy way to reduce your Blogger feed to below FeedBurners limit.
In FeedBurner, click on your blog name from the ‘My Feeds’ page, you will be taken to the ‘Analyze Tab’, along the top you will see ‘Edit Feed Details’, click on this link.
On your Original Feed add the following text,
?max-results=3
straight after default, do not change anything else or insert spaces.
Save the Feed changes.
You will get a message saying it will take a little time for FeedBurner to catch up with the update, so just be patient!
My Feed began updating within a few hours, yippy!
After a wee while log back into your FeedBurner account, go to your FeedBullitin and fingers crossed you will see a message similar to this
{ALL CLEAR: FeedMedic Alert for CityGirlGoneCoastal
Posted: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 04:52:33 PDT
Your Source Feed, http://citygirlgonecoastal.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?max-results=3, is now working fine. Carry on! We will let you know if anything bad happens in the future.}
Phew, all better now!
You can see the text you added to your original Feed is now included.
Another way to check the health of your Feed is by using Feed Validator, your FeedBurner account will actually link to here so you can see what the issues are.
I will be honest, this site just about scares the bejinkos out of me, if you have more than a basic understanding of html then you might be able to make sense of it, but if your like me, best to back away slowly.
Another thing you can do to help your Feed stay FeedBurner acceptable is to stop writing up your blog posts in Word.
I never realised this, but when you write up your post and use copy paste to insert the text into your blog post, a whole host of additional characters are added, none of which you see, but they make a big difference.
I have downloaded Windows Live Writer to write my posts. Its clearly laid out and so far easy to use, I haven’t done much with other than write this post, but so far I’m happy with it. You can download your blog template and see your post in preview mode, making sure you get it just perfect.
There is also something about photos, but I haven’t looked into that yet.
I would also suggest following your own blog in the various readers you use, that way you will know instantly if something is wrong, you should also log in to your FeedBurner account on a regular basis to keep up to date on any issues.
I hope some of this has been useful, if you have any questions just ask, not sure if I explained this all clearly but am happy to go over it with you!

Comments

  1. OMGosh! you will LOVE WLW. :)
    quick pic tip.
    upload 3 pictures, fix them how you want. (size/orientation/watermark, etc)
    after you do that, click one of the pics "on" (so you see the little boxes on the corners)
    Then at the top of the page click picture tools (format) then on the right click set default.
    Now EVERY time you upload any pics, they will be sized (centered) or watermarked, or however you set them to be.
    :)
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate this! I didn't know about all this, and I've checked it out and can't believe how many subscribers I have by email! Thanks for sharing! I'm pinning so I can remember all this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you posted this way back in april...but I just wanted to say thank you! I just found out that my feed hadn't updated in almosrt a week and your post saved me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!