A Little Bank Holiday Sewing - Mug Rugs


Such a miserable end to the Bank Holiday weekend, the weather has been bloody awful.

One good thing about miserable weather is that being stuck indoors I have been able to finish off a little project which I hadn’t managed to finish as it was so sunny lately.

I realised the other week I needed mug rugs, decent sized ones which would happily accommodate a coffee and a cake or two!I decided 8x8 inches, or there about, was a good size.


So I set to cutting up some scraps of fabric, which I sewed into two patchwork pieces.


I’ve been thinking about balloons lately, I know random, but balloons can't fail to cheer me up!

I have the perfect fabric for showcasing a few balloons, this blue sky and fluffy white clouds, love this!

I cut out 2 pieces of blue sky loveliness.


Then using a template drew some balloons and cut those out.


I pinned 2 balloons to each blue sky lovely, and snipped some red / aqua ric rac for my balloon strings.


I was going to try a fancy stitch to adhere the balloons but my sewing machine and I just are just not that well acquainted!

Before sewing the balloons completely to the blue sky fabric I poked a piece of ric rac under the balloon, and then backed stitched a few times to secure in place.
I repeated this for the remaining balloons, with varying success at sewing the curves, must practice this sewing curves malarkey!


Having cut out 2 pieces of wadding I debated the best way to finish them off, sounds rather sinister!

I’ve had this GORGEOUS bias binding for a while and only used a tiny bit here, have I mentioned that I’ve never actually sewn bias binding?


I Googled and Googled different techniques and thinking I had the idea of it, went to town.

For my first attempt, I’m pretty impressed with the results.

Having machined stitched one side of the bias binding I decided to hand finish the other side, I didn’t want to mess it up and by hand stitching I could be more precise and undo easily any areas I was unhappy with.

I know I made a few mistakes, but it still looks good, I would say an iron is handy for pressing edges down and pinning isn’t always necessary, it was handy to just pull and push the fabric where I wanted it.


Anyhoo for first attempt I think I did pretty well.
I decided that my poor nerves just couldn’t handle the pressure of trying to do another round of bias tape, so opted for the quick and easy, if less pretty looking,
 Sew,
Turn,
 Press,
 &
Stich  
approach.

I added small pieces of looped ribbon, rescued from some packaging from a box of Christmas cookies, so they could be hung up.


I know which finish I prefer, no brainer really; I will definitely be trying the bias tape again.


I’ve decided to compile a kind of

{Craft bucket list}

Anyone else getting a little over whelmed by the amount of things you are pinning and not actually doing!


So, now I’m making a list and getting them done, hurrah for un-procrastination!
What would be on your list?



Photobucket


Linking up to some of these

Home workMaking the World Cuter, French Country Cottage More the Merrier Monday Craft o Maniac Monday Organising Mission Monday Pinkapotamus Beneath the Rowan TreeHome Stories of A-Z, Todays Creative BlogShow & Tell, Power of Paint PartySomeday CraftsSweetpeas & BumblebeesHouse of HepworthsThe Shabby Chic CottageBeyond the Picket FenceThe 36th AvenueFireflies & Jellybeans504 Main30 Handmade DaysFunky Junk InteriorsUnder the Table and DreamingSundae ScoopCraft O ManiacABC & 123Beneath the Rowan Tree, A Round Tuit, Serenity NowFreckled Laundry, Homemaker in HeelsSpunky JunkyFunky Junk InteriorsTatertots & JelloJ & M's Eye Candy, Organize with SandyThe Creative ItchRook no.17,  Creative SparkGingersnapsBlissful & Domestic,Keeping it SimpleCraft Junkie TooSimply DesigningMaking Lemonade, Truly Lovely BlogChic on a Shoestring Decorating, Cherished BlissYour Whims Wednesday, Lil' LunaCrafty ConfessionsSugar Bee CraftsSew WoodsyWicked Awesome WednesdayHome for the HolidaysMy Repurposed  Life, Crafty Confessions

Comments

  1. Love them. With and without bias binding. The balloons are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them all to wither way they are awesome! xo p.s. leaving a comment from my other blog today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love the balloons. I have about 25 craft bucket lists in various places, all several pages long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are both lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I like both of the mug rugs. Very cute!
    I have so many wanna do Pinterset projects...I think I need to take a break from Pinterest and start creating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, and the colors are fabulous! I'd love for you to link it up to Crafty Cousins!

    http://crafting-cousins.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-i-wore-sunday-week-11.html

    ~Natalie @ Crafty Cousins

    Holla! We're your newest followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm IN LOVE with that fabric and the color combo! thanks so much for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday! just added you to my bloglovin' reader too so i don't miss out on any posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so glad that you were able to link this up! it's absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are beautiful :) please can you tell me where you found the cloud fabric? I have been googling for weeks and can't find any as nice as the one you have used. My email is h.k.r.26.08.87@live.co.uk thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!