DIY Coffee Fertiliser {Coffee & egg shells}

Anyone half serious about gardening knows the benefits of adding compost / fertiliser to the soil, but not everyone has the room for a composter.

garden flowers

We did have one a few years ago, but between a tiny garden and only 2 people to contribute household compostable items we never really seemed to get it going, eventually passing it on to an older couple who had a garden more benefiting.

Since then I have been on the lookout for a way to compost / fertilise on a small scale, now I have it and wanted to share, cause I’m sure I’m not the only one who hasn’t got room for a full sized composter!

I only use 2 ‘ingredient's’

coffee and eggs

Coffee grounds

Egg shells

Some days I will have a little to add other days nothing so I didn’t want or need anything to large to collect the fertiliser, this metal bucket is the perfect size.

bucket

I simply added a label so no one throws its contents away.

coffee compost bucket

It will stay on the window sill, away from inquisitive little boys.

my bucket

Every time I change out the used coffee grounds I tip them in here.

Egg shells are crushed and sprinkled on top.

Every other day or so I take the bucket outside, mix up the compost and either

sprinkle over the the top layer of soil,

rake it in to the soil,

add to a full watering can, leave over night and water the plants with it

You could of course just add the lot to a regular composter, but if you are a small scale / container gardener you may not have one.

TIPS

Coffee grounds are rich in nitrogen, magnesium, and potassium, all of which are important plant nutrients.

They are also acidic, and help to maintain the acidity of the soil.

For most people, too much coffee can be a bad thing, the same is true for your plants.

You don’t want your soil too acidic, even roses and azalea's can have too much!

Egg shells are made up almost entirely of calcium carbonate – the main ingredient in agricultural lime, great for your garden, grind them up and mix with the coffee grounds  / composter.

Crushed egg shells are also a fantastic deterrent for slugs, cutworms and snails, with soft undersides they don’t like slithering over anything sharp!

Another great thing about this, is that its child friendly, no nasty chemicals!

Random tip, if you feed birds from your garden, in a shallow dish, place some crushed egg shells, female birds especially those who have just or are about to pop out an egg of two themselves really appreciate the extra calcium!

As with most things, there are different schools of thought on this, my grandpa did this, along  with using a regular composter and his garden was always full of blooming plants, so I’m not too worried about adverse effects.

Just remember not to go crazy, if you get to the point where you don’t need the coffee grounds you could always offer them to a non coffee drinking friend or neighbour!

Happy Gardening! 

Linking up to some of these blogs

NightOwlCraftingCreations by KaraPincushion Creations Laugh, Love, & Craft

Comments

  1. great tips! This is our first summer with a real garden and we really need to start composting our egg shells and coffee grounds for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea!!! I'm going to do this from now on :)

    Side note..I LOVE the tint to your photos...

    I do hope you are planning on sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!