The Lost Art of Sending Letters

 

I miss letters and cards.

Proper letters, hand written, in an envelope, with a stamp and and address, popped in the post, making its way to where it is meant to be.

cards and envelope

Or a card, sent ‘just because’ not because it’s ‘due’.

spotty paper flowers

As much as I understand {I’m totally lying, I sooo don’t get it} the instant gratification of email, FB, Twitter and the like I miss the personal touch of knowing someone sat down and put pen to paper, made it personal to the recipient.

Knowing that only the sender and the recipient will know its contents,

knowing that there is only one copy,

not to be stored or copied or altered, just cherished.

stickers

A private communication between two people who care enough to find time to sit down and put pen to paper.

stamps and ink

I’ve always seen writing letters and notes as a something special, personal, romantic, maybe it’s because of my parents started off as pen pals.

sweet messages

I used to write to friends, even my first boyfriend, adding small things which reminded me of them, be it stripy socks, a book of poems, a beer mat from a pub or an IOU for coffee.

paper flowers

I’d even write a little thank you on the envelope to the postman.

Somewhere along the way, all that stopped.

diy washi tape tabs

But now I want to start it again.

card candy

Seems so many people I know are dealing with pressures and stresses, and whilst a little note or card won’t really make any difference to the situation, an unexpected ‘hey, you ok?’ or ‘saw this and totally thought of you’ might just raise a smile and let them know they are not alone.

letter and card embelishments

I decided to raid my craft stash and gather supplies to make send cards and notes easy peasy, and popped them in a basket.

Next time I get 5 minutes spare I shall send someone a note.

Why did it all stop? {Other than silly stamp prices}

Do you still write to anyone?

 

Linking to some of these blogs

NightOwlCraftingCreations by KaraPincushion Creations Laugh, Love, & Craft

4 comments :

  1. You couldn't be more right. Technology has taken over & the "old fashioned" ways have died away. It's kind of sad, really. I aways think of how much I treasure a recipe that was written in my grandmother's handwriting. Can you imagine future generations only having access to recipes printed off a computer screen? Something has been lost, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I often find myself feeling the exact same way. Technology "connections" are taking away from people really CONNECTING with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way but am guilty of the "quick" email most of the time. I do, however, make cards for all birthdays & any other special occasions, plus all my "Thank You" cards. And, yes, I do send a "thank you" for every little thing!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still write occasionally to my oldest friend, she moved to Germany when we were 16, before the time everyone had email addresses, so would write to each other all the time. Now it is maybe twice a year but still meaningful!

    Alison
    x
    p.s. nominated you for a bloggy award today (heavenlyhandmades.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10