Making Blog Button with Grab Box ~ 3 Ways to Make a Blog Button in PicMonkey

 
Every blog needs a button with a grab box, even if you don’t think anyone will grab it, make it anyway, cause someone will. One day you will stumble across a blog which has your button and you will be pleased as punch, so let’s make a button!
 
I’m loving’ PicMonkey at the moment so I’m going to show you how to make a blog button using PicMonkey.
 
Using PicMonkey you have 3 options to make a blog button
1) Using your own photo / image
2) Using only PicMonkey accessories
3) Using PicMonkey collage
 
First of all I shall show you how to make each button image, then go through the whole grab box code malarkey!
 

How to make a blog button using your own photo

Open up PicMonkey
Upload your chosen photo.
 
upload photo for blog button
 
You can use the tools to add various effects to you photo. If you don’t like something you can always hit the undo button {the arrow pointing to the left in the left hand corner} and try something new.
 
add effects to photo
 
You will most likely want to add some text, use the {P} tab to access the available fonts. The style and text is entirely your choice, but I would suggest you choose a font which is easy to read!
 
adding text to blog button
 
Next thing to do is resize your button, this tool is available on the main menu, keep your button somewhere between 150 x 150 and 200 x 200 if possible.
 
resize your blog button
 
Save your button.
 

How to make a blog button using PicMonkey accessories

Upload a blank image to PicMonkey, you can make one in Paint.
 
upload a blank image
 
Use the images available all in the {speech bubbles} image. It is entirely up to you, but you probably don’t want your blog button too busy, nor do you want the images so small that they can’t be made out!
 
using picmonkey images for button
 
If you don’t like something you can always hit the undo button {the arrow pointing to the left in the left hand corner} and try something new.
 
Once you have the image or images you like, you need to add some text, use the {P} tab to access the available fonts. The style and text is entirely your choice, but I would suggest you choose a font which is easy to read!
 
add text to your button
 
Next thing to do is resize your button, this tool is available on the main menu, keep your button somewhere between 150 x 150 and 200 x 200 if possible.
 
resizing a blog button
 
Once you are happy with your blog button, save your button.
 

How to make a blog button using PicMonkey collages

If you are a fussy bunny, and just can’t decide on one image, then a collage is for you!
Open PicMonkey collages, and select the layout you would like to use, remember that a blog button isn’t normally more that 200 x 200 in size, so you don’t want to use too many images or anything too detailed.
 
choosing a blog button style
 
Add the images you want to use in your blog button.
 
adding photos to blog button collage
 
Once your photos are uploaded, you can drop them into your collage.
Using the {paint pallet} tab you can add background colours, adjust the size of the boxes and round corners.
 
placing images in blog button collage
 
Now you have the images where you want them you will need to save the collage. To add text to your blog button you will need to reopen it regular PicMonkey.
Use the {P} tab to access the fonts, remember you can resize and change the colour of the fonts to match your blog header.
 
Adding text to your blog button collage
 
Next thing to do is resize your button, this tool is available on the main menu, keep your button somewhere between 150 x 150 and 200 x 200 if possible.
 
resizing a blog button
 
Once you are happy with your blog button save it.
 
options for making a blog button
 
So, there you are, 3 different ways to make a blog button in PicMonkey!
Now that your button is designed, very nice it looks too, you want to add the {grab} element of your button, click the link below to go to the EASIEST way to add button code to your blog.
 

Making Your Blog Button Grab~able

49 comments :

  1. Thanks for this tutorial, Amanda! I don't have a blog button, but I've been thinking about trying to make one. This should help...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoO! Thank you so much for this tutorial! I did it and it worked great!

    --kendall
    http://songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this, but my button kept popping up huge. Any idea as to why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opps! I forgot to add the 'resize your button' part of the tutorial, I have a added it now and if you follow the steps should work fine! Sorry for the mess up!

      Delete
  4. I. Am. Obsessed. With. PicMonkey. There, I said it. I love it. And I use it pretty much everyday. I love their FB cover photo option with their collages. Soe easy.
    Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, what a wonderful tutorial! Thank you for sharing, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant, thanks for sharing!! I will be giving it a go tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great tutorial. I hope everyone uses it! We are so glad you joined our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for this fantastic walk through
    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got confused during the URL part of the tutorial, but thanks to you I now have my very own blog button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice tutorial, very easy to follow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just what I need. Really looking forward to trying out this tute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just what I need. Really looking forward to trying out this tute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I searched all over and this is the best tutorial showing how. I love how you did it.

    Thank you soooo much,
    Cody
    solemnsound.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! This was so helpful. Yours was the first tutorial I tried that worked!

    ReplyDelete
  15. THank you so much for this! I tried 3 tutorials before yours and this one finally got it to work. THanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much! I have tried for days to make buttons and ended up lost each time... until I came across this today! 2 buttons made in less than 10 minutes! Great tutorial!
    Thanks again!

    appleofmamaseye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! Finally a tutorial that works. I've tried about 5 others (multiple times very careful not to mess anything up) and none of them have worked. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just kidding... It all worked, but once I tried to test it out by grabbing my own button, nothing showed up. :-( Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks you so much! So easy and worked like a charm (after trying other tutorials and failing) :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much! Your code was simple and easy to understand where others that I tried were not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Finally someone was smart enough to use different colors! Thank you for breakin it down for me! I was using another tutorial and messed it up every time. I found yours, worked the 1st time. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much - you made this so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ummm.. I have tried A MILLION tutorials on buttons, and this one wins the gold. Seriously! All the other ones did not work very well, this one works perfect. Thanks SO much!!

    ♥, Sarah
    The Life of a Redhead

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks! this was a great and quick explaination!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much. This was the EASIEST way to do it. Wish I had found it hours ago!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are amazing! I - literally - tried 5 different tutorials and none of them would grab my photo. Thank you sooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  27. After six hours and three blogs later, I HAVE MY BUTTON on www.survivalofcreativemom.weebly.com thank you for your instructions, it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I consider this the finest blog I have read all this hour.
    how to box

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ummmmm....what's a grabable blog button?? So new to blogging I have no idea what this means? xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. You. Are. Wonderful. I figured it out! Lovely. www.agaithergirlsperspective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for this. i've used it and made my own xxx http://seeingsp0ts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/blog-button.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this tutorial! Have used it loads. Problem is that the code box for my button comes up to the side of the button...is there anything I'm doing wrong? x

    ReplyDelete
  33. That you so much! I was going crazy trying to figure out how to add it to my blog. Feel free to check out my blog if you'd like: http://secondchancesgirl.blogpsot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Amanda, thanks for this great tutorial! This was so helpful and I finally have grab buttons on my blog...Would love for you to stop by! Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you sooooo much!!! I have been trying to figure out how to do this, and here you are with a totally simple explanation :) Have a wonderful weekend - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yayaya!! I have tried doing this through countless other tutorials. Yours was BY FAR the best and simplest explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Google led me to this wonderful tutorial (after I had tried 2 others and failed!). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So I'm trying to make a blog button and it is NOT working for me...please help!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. great tutorial! thanks :D my text isnt showing up even though I followed your steps exactly.. and more than once :/ any idea why?

    http://lifeslikearoadwetravelon.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. I thought I was doing everything correctly, but when I went to look at it on my blog, all i had was a blank white box. :( any ideas where I went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,

      I've redone the html for your blog button, it should now work, if you let me have an email addy I can send it to you, you can then add it to your blog.

      Delete
  41. Kelly I had the same problem. The blog button is adorable, but it just has a plain white box under it.

    http://makingmemoriesofus2012.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks so much for this WONDERFUL tutorial! I discovered your blog while looking for a great tutorial and came across this one. THANK YOU so much!! :)Excited to be your newest follower!
    :) Rebecca
    www.caravansonnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am having the same pronblem as well with the plain white box, can you help me figure this out? Thanks, Great tutorial! kimberly-c-photography.blogspot.ca
    kimberlycphotography@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thank you, you're brilliant at explaining things. This is the best tutorial I've found as I've been struggling to make a button for a week. The only problem is that I don't have notepad (I use a Mac) so have copied your code manually and I must have done something wrong because the code comes out in two white boxes below the button. Do you have any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Super. Helpful. I am just a few months in with my blog and am still figuring out things like widgets and buttons. So this was perfect timing!
    website design

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10