How To Make Mini Flag Bunting

It feels as though I haven’t done anything crafty in absolute ages, most likely because I haven’t!

Inspiration struck this weekend and I made a mini garland for our living room door.


Door decorated with bunting

It’s made up of 3 different types of flag, the red and white gingham, linenish with red buttons and linenish with white buttons. This only took a few hours in total which included  singing and chair dancing with the odd “Oh bugger, what am I doing?” moment!

what you need

Make your templates

I used regular cardstock to make templates for both types of flag I wanted, makes it much easier to keep everything the same size!

These were 2 inches top to bottom and 2 inches across, perfectly mini.

mini templates

Cut out your flags

To avoid having 27 flags left over {oh dear, I shall have to make more bunting} I would suggest measuring the object / space you want the bunting to cover, then use some maths to work out how many flags you need to cover the area. Next time I shall be taking my own advice!!

I needed 11 linen flags.

Before drawing round the template you want to fold over the fabric and place the top of the template on the folded edge, then draw around the template.

mini flags

And 11 red and white gingham flags.

mini flags2

Add the buttons

mini buttons

For maximum impact I added the buttons to the plain flags, 6 white and 5 red.

mini flags and white buttons 

mini flags and red buttons

Attach flags to string

Mini pegs are perfect for attaching the flags to string, perfect for those who don’t want to sew!

mini pegs

Hang a flag over the string and secure in place with a mini peg.

I alternated between each type of flag, roughly the same distance apart.

mini flag bunting

Display your hard work

Once all the flags have been pinned to the string, hang it up it up to display it full gorgeousness!

I used the discrete method of red and white polka dot tape to hang my bunting!

door with bunting

 Fuzzy photo courtesy of sleep deprived mama and shonky UK weather!

Now I just need to figure out where else is in need of some bunting.

Linking up with some of these blogs

Creative Itch PhotobuckethomeworkToday's Creative BlogOur Delightful HomeConfessions of a Stay At Home Mommy DIY under $5




Comments

  1. This is sooo stinkin adorable! I just love anything that has mini clothespins and what a great way to NOT use the sewing machine or glue gun!
    Love it!
    xoxo
    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an adorable project! I love it. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this! So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is this? Super cute!
    Thanks for stopping by Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!
    You should link this up to our link party :) http://www.hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/10/eat-make-grow-thursday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. just darling. you make it sound so easy. i desperately need to make one of these for a craft show in 2 weeks. guaranteed it won't turn out that nice, lol. thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creativity matters like they said. It is something that we don't do everyday but it would be so much awesome if we practice it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda! It's been ages since I've talked(left a comment). Sounds like your twins are keeping you on your toes - one day very soon they will be grown and gone and you'll wish they were running around your house. I just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and these little banners are ADORABLE! I'm so glad that we've been friends through blogging! Wishing you a wonderful Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!