Respectful Blogging

This is a repost from back in June, with all the new blogs popping up, and maybe some old timers getting a bit too comfortable, I figure these might be helpful reminders of how we can all make the most of the blogging community.

I’ve spent the past few days hopping around blogs, reading, commenting  sometimes following sometimes not.

I’ve noticed a few things here and there which have, not necessarily ticked me off, but made me feel as a blog reader and a blogger somewhat uncomfortable.

1} Comments

You either want them or you don’t.

If you don’t, well, I’m not to sure why your blogging, but still, that’s up to you.

If you want the comments, decent comments that add content to your blog, help establish a blogging community, you need to engage.

I never expect a response to every comment, with kids and everything else I know how little time I have to set aside to blogging and I’m pretty sure it’s the same for you.

But you should at least try to respond and engage with the people who take the time to read and comment on your posts. Definitely you should be responding to sensible questions, especially if you have asked people for their opinions.

If you want to respond only in the comment section that's totally cool, but please make it clear, most people don’t return to check for a response within the comments nor do they follow the comments {can you imagine your inbox}, so unless you let them know, they might not even know you have responded.

  2} Blog Hops & Linkys

These things take time and sometimes money.

You have the whole writing the post and the html malarkey, sorting any issues that pop up during the hop or linky and then you have the engaging with the people who have linked up.

Time baby, it all takes time!

If the host asks you to link back, grab button or chuck in a text link, it doesn’t take long and there are so many ways to arrange the buttons all nice and neat so they don’t overwhelm the post.

If they want you to follow them, follow! Again it doesn’t take long and chances are if you like the blog enough to link up, you are going to like the rest of the content.

Don’t link up anything nasty / inappropriate or something you know just doesn’t fit in with the linky, its rude and often offensive.

But…

If you are hosting a hop or linky, be realistic.

You want the backlinks, the followers, whatever clicks it is that makes the sponsors and advertisers want to do business with you, then play fair.

Don’t make people jump through too many hoops, think about what your limits are to following  / participating with a blog, if you’re not prepared to do it yourself, don’t ask it of others.

This whole blogging community is built on give and take and we should be supporting each other.

Sometimes, a few, and I really do mean a few bloggers seem just a wee bit selfish. They want the followers, backlinks or whatever, but don’t seem to want to reciprocate. Which to me seems a little shady.

3} Blog snobs

Not everyone can afford to hire a blog designer.

Not everyone can make a fancy blog design, but that doesn’t mean they haven’t got amazing content. Sometimes we have to look past the dust to see the sparkle.

Not everyone has a DSLR camera, I know I don’t and honestly, I’m getting tired of hearing my photos are of poor quality because of my point and shoot. My photos may not be the best, but I think some are pretty darn awesome.

point and shoot photos

Some people don’t have English as their first language or they are dyslexic or something, I’ve seen several people say they ignore bloggers with bad grammar which just seems a little harsh. Fair enough if the person is using text speak, but using their / there / they’re incorrectly isn’t the be all and end all.

We should take the rough with the smooth as they say!

4} Keeping It Real

I don’t know why liars in the blogging community surprised me, they are everywhere else so why not here, but it did.

If you host a competition and you don’t like the person who wins, tough. Unless you specified that person couldn’t enter, suck it up and get over it.

When reviewing something, be honest, you’d be pissed if you purchased something on the recommendation of a friend and it wasn’t what you expected. The £10 or freebie you get, is it really worth your honesty, saying you love something when really its already tossed in the bin!?

Craft bloggers, don’t Photoshop a project to finish it. People will expect to follow your tutorial with the aim to get the same end result, don’t mislead them just because you want to impress people.

Tweaking photos to make them pretty, sure. Tweaking photos to ‘complete’ a half finished project, umm yeah that’s makes you a liar and well, I hope your pants are on fire, or something!

Don’t be nasty / rude or plain ol’ vindictive. If you don’t like something or don’t agree with an opinion, either move on or say something constructive, open debate is mostly always welcome, but being a bitch and insisting you’re right is not.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ohh that feels better, I shall clamber down from my soap box and keep hush now!

Anyway, these are just my opinions, you can totally disagree if you want. My intentions are not to offend anyone, nor am I calling out, just saying my piece and moving on!

Comments

  1. Hear, hear. Well written, as always, Amanda. Can I ask you a question, how can you email someone back via the comments? Do you know what I mean? If I do respond to comments, I know I can go to the blogger's page and if they have an email link I can email from there but I want to be able to do it with the person's comments in the email I send and I think it can be done via my comments. OMG, Amanda, I don't think I'm making sense (it's been a long day already). If you understand this gobbledygook, plse let me know. Absolutely no rush. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Amanda. Thank you for some wonderful tips here! English is not my first language, and sometimes it's hard to fit in. I'm grateful for all those people who see beyond that and actually care what I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All excellent points! The last year was rough and I've been a little MIA in the blogging world and get next to none comments. I do always try to respond, because it feels good when others respond to you. Although, I did get a lovely troll once that was really upseting! I had to turn off the anonymous comment option. My absolute favorite blogs to read are real people with imperfections doing real things with imperfection! The sheer amount of perfection & popularity that can exist in the blog world is a bit overwhelming at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, a good reminder for all of us to keep it real no matter what. Your photos are gorgeous by the way. I wish more people would remove the "no reply" option when they are leaving comments for us. That is my only struggle with comments, but I love getting them, it makes all the work really worth it to know people are connecting with us.

    I saw quite a bit of traffic coming from a site I didn't recognize recently and it took me a couple days to figure out why. A nasty thread, mostly a rant about "pointless pins" on Pinterest was on a website that oddly enough sold craft supplies, but also seemed to have a chat area. The woman who wrote about my pointless pin hyperlinked back to my original blog post to prove her point. So it wasn't just the pin that upset her, it was the whole darn project. And she is a crafter!

    Manners still matter, and having class shines thru our posts and how we treat others. Thank you for sharing your heart, here's to the nice bloggers and readers!!

    xoxo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great although I'd like to know about the comments thing too as I always tend to just 'reply' under the original comment.

    And I think your photos are great - I couldn't take shots like that even if I did have a high tech camera!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - I'm here from the Tots Good Reads share simply because their comments system DOESN'T allow me to receive updates for comments after mine and that fits in with what I'm going to say...

    "If you want to respond only in the comment section that’s totally cool, but please make it clear, most people don’t return to check for a response within the comments nor do they follow the comments {can you imagine your inbox}, so unless you let them know, they might not even know you have responded."

    Are you suggesting that we seek out every single twitter acc or facebook page of every person that's commented and let them know there's a response on the original post? As you say, time is short and if I've already responded, I don't have time to go on a social media hunt to find accounts.

    As for everything else - very good point well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding.

      No, that's not what I'm suggesting, sorry if it came across that way.

      Most blog platforms, as far as I'm aware, allow you to enter some text where the comments are entered, most say something like "Thank you for leaving a comment, I appreciate each one..." this section would be the ideal place to let those leaving comments know that you will leave replies in the comment section.

      Even if that wasn't an option, a simple piece of coding embedded at the bottom of the blog post would be a permanent and visible way to let people know.

      Not sure if I've put that across properly, not enough coffee in my system!

      Delete
    2. That would make sense. It might be worth someone doing a CSS or widget tutorial to show how you could do that :)

      Delete
  7. Wanted to stop by and thank you - with your tutorial help, I was able to create a fun, new header on my blog! I added your button to our site also! http://thecircusfleas.blogspot.com/

    Thanks again
    Jenn circusfleas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said !!

    Natasha @ www.serenityyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha pants on fire! That is so not said enough! Great post.

    More importantly though you are like my opposite! Citygirlgonecoastal v seasiderinthecity - awesome, how did I not know this??

    Following now ;-)...don't follow back though, I'm lazy and my blog is pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I just located your blog and wished to let you know that I have certainly loved reading your blogs. At any rate I’m going to be subscribing to your feed and I really hope you are writing again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!