Failing My Children ~ School Saga Continues
I feel as though I’m between a rock and a hard place, with no where to go and it’s my children who are going to suffer.
Last week we got the news we had been dreading, they are unable to offer places at our preferred school, instead my boys have been allocated places at an academy.
I’m trying to be optimistic, but when an academy run by the same people ranked as “inadequate” in the Ofsted report conducted earlier this year, it doesn’t give me much hope.
I realise that it’s a different academy, but as it’s run by the same people who run the one my children have been allocated places and it doesn’t sit well with me.
This is how the report was described
The report said students underachieved and their progress was too slow.
It added that those with special educational needs were not provided for well enough in lessons, and that students should attend more regularly.
"Teaching is not of sufficient quality, or improving with enough urgency, to enable students to make up the ground they need," the report said.
"Teachers expect too little of students."
The document said the academy's governors were "too accepting" of low standards.
Would you send your child to a school like this? Would Mr Gove? No, so why am I expected to?!
I’ve also seen the allocation for places in our preferred school, they had 90 places and 234 applicants.
Of those 90 places 44 were allocated to children who have a sibling at the school the remaining 46 to children in the immediate catchment area.
My children fit none of these “priorities”, out of the 6 categories, my children fall into priority 6, the lowest.
This is the same for all the primary schools within our area, my boys haven’t been christened, which puts us on the shit list for about 80% of the schools, the remaining 20% want siblings, SEN Statements, looked after children or those children with exceptional medical or social needs.
My children fall in to none of the little tick boxes, so instead they fall into the cracks.
I’m happy for the parents and children who have been offered a place at their preferred school, because the situation I now find us in sucks, and that is putting it mildly.
I’m frustrated, upset and more than a little angry that my children have been shuffled off to some academy which may turn out to be wonderful, but as yet has been unable to prove itself.
I received a letter, almost gleefully informing me that some lucky children have been offered 2 places, one at their preferred school and one at a new free school, bully for them, awesome, how nice it must be to have such a choice.
Meanwhile, I need to look in to appealing a process which clearly puts my children at the bottom of the priority list, and those waiting lists for each school are scarily long.
I’m trying to look at the positives of the academy my boys will more than likely be attending in a few months…it has playing fields, I like the idea that it’s not all concrete, they have a nice range of after school clubs and ummm…… yeah that’s about it at the moment.
On the down side, no Ofsted report for the academy, we know little about the curriculum they teach (it’s based on an American system), the boys will spend over 2 hours travelling to school and back everyday and I will spend over 4 hours dropping them off and bringing them home.
What would you do? What can I do?
I’m truly feeling lost at the moment, as though I have somehow let down my children.