Lego ~ The Bastard Bricks of Pain

It’s a complex relationship that causes me both joy and pain.

Creates beautiful memories and reduces me to tears.

lego, bricks

Encourages my children to learn new things and then develops their destructive ways.

crazy pile of lego, Lego bricks, play

Makes me proud of what we can achieve yet causes me to scream and rage at its brutal attempts to hurt me.

What relationship am I talking about?

That one most parents of kids of a certain age have.

The relationship between a parent and Lego.

Yes, Lego.

I hate it as much as I love it.

Those pretty, perfectly formed squares and rectangles, with 4 pointy points have caused me, on too many occasions, to cry, scream and curse the day we bought that first damn kit.

Stupidly and naively I thought my children would be so amazed by their parents’ ability to turn a jumble of randomly coloured bricks into a helicopter, mine, boat and numerous cars that they wouldn’t even entertain the idea of taking them apart.

lego creations, lego cars, lego

I was so wrong, so so incredibly, stupidly naively wrong.

Each creation lasts for about 10 minutes or so before being reduced to a pile of blocks reminiscent of the aftermath of King Kong Gone Wild.

Every time one of these glorious creations is destroyed I want to weep. Because I know that pile of bricks will never look as beautiful again.

An important, intrinsic to the design, piece will go forever missing. Or a page from the instruction booklet will be torn out and eaten.

After a few attempts to refashion the blocks into their former glorious glory I quietly give up, sulking in a corner, feeling slight anger, much despair and frustration that Lego failed to supply super glue with the set.

I hate Lego, I hate all its corners, the stupid pretty colours, I hate how Play Doh gets stuck in the stupid holes, I hate how it hides in the rug, I hate how easily the stupid pieces get sucked up the hoover and I hate the stupid girl version with the their ridiculous limbs and big heads

need more lego

“But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you,
Not even close,
Not even a little bit,
Not even at all.”

Linking to Ranty Friday with Mummy Barrow

MummyBarrow RantyFriday

7 comments :

  1. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! I think all us fellow moms feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! That really made me giggle ;) We're still on duplo in this house... my husband spends hours building farms and crap for the toddler... she chews the animals' faces and places the jaggy bits in door frames just so she can laugh when I get my foot impaled on a 3 inch tractor. :/ lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too true! I''ve taken to snapping a picture of my best Duplo creations and sending it to my husband just to prove they existed because they're not going to be standing by the time he gets home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND I HATE HOW MUCH THE BASTARD BRICKS HURT WHEN YOU STAND ON THEM AT 2AM IN THE DARK

    little sods

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah the love hate relationship with lego!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knelt on a Lego brick once. That fecking hurt like buggery I can tell you. We don't have Lego in our house anymore, the kids aren't bothered, they prefer Brio (also hurts like buggery when trod on, but doesn't go up the hoover). I used to have it when I was a kid though and used to make nothing but penguins with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stood on a lego brick. . . Stumbled....and ended up in hospital for 2 weeks with a very severely broken ankle! Bastards

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10