Responsible Parenting

I always try to withhold judgement on other peoples parenting.

I know I haven’t always done the right thing, nor do I expect to get everything right in the future.

But one thing I am certain of is that I have never left my children's wellbeing up to chance nor relied on strangers to keep them safe.

At the play park yesterday I was shocked and pretty disgusted at the number of parents who just left their children to their own devices.

The park is inside a another park, but isn’t actually all that secure, with no gates between the parks, a river and an A road, yet so many parents were content to leave their kids alone without any adult supervision.

I try not to be too clingy, but I stay within calling distance and if the apparatus looks particularly challenging I’ll stick next to it until I’m confident my kids know what they are doing.

kids playing at the park

Sometimes I’m even a meany mummy and tell my kids they aren’t allowed on certain things.

Yet yesterday, there were clearly children being left unsupervised attempting to play on things which in all honesty weren’t suitable for them.

It seemed that once in a public setting, all parental concern for age, height and weight appropriateness of a ‘toy’ went out the window.

Children on climbing frames they were too small for, older kids on apparatus clearly intended for young, smaller children.

Toddlers on a roundabout which was being swung by teenagers obviously not concerned with the toddlers welfare.

I understand that all parents need some ‘down time’ but when your child is stuck on top of a climbing frame, running in front of swings or trying to jump on a round about spinning round at vomit inducing speeds probably isn’t the best time.

Comments

  1. It is certainly interesting to watch other parents, especially at the park. I suppose some of it depends on the age of your children, I'll happily let mine go in the park area on their own and I might sit outside on a rug tu I can always see them and at 6 upwards and with their being 3 of them they have enough savvy to call/ get me if they need me. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what your talking about. Perhaps it is different with much older children, but I'm always so afraid when Ava gets on the roundabout with unsupervised older children. Most of the time they are either very sweet and push it real slow for her, or they get bored with her slow pace and run off, but occasionally you get the odd hooligan who gives it a good shove and leaves her hanging on for dear life and me jumping to the ready. I basically don't let her on it anymore unless there's no-one else n the park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I've just seen this, I read another post yesterday from someone saying the opposite, that they deliberately leave their children to fend for themselves in the park so that they learn to support themselves. I was really surprised by the attitude and completely agree with you! We have a park which has an older section and a younger section and I am quite happy to let Meg and Eli have free rein in the younger part as we've been there before and I know they can get on quite happily but I would still be keeping an eye out..and staying within shouting distance! What if a younger child fell? Or got knocked down?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!