Picture Perfect

Life is messy.

It’s wonderfully and chaotically messy, both physically and mentally. Whether it’s your home, relationship, job, hair, family, personality or nail varnish there will always be something that is in an uncontrollable state of chaos.

Much has been said of late about the “picture perfect” lives portrayed on Pinterest, Instagram and the like; some feel pressured to attain these seemingly elusive perfect lives.

I must confess to loving the “picture perfect” lives I see on Instagram and Pinterest.

I don’t see them as putting pressure on me to clean the house more, home school, become an organic farmer or learn a multitude of skills, I just enjoy the pretty!

insta loves

I’ve never seen the bottom of the laundry basket, there’s most likely Cheerios under the sofa {which will be eaten by the boys if they find them first}, I forget to line cake tins when baking, there’s doodles on the hallway walls which are adorable and over 3 years old, I’ve hung a picture over a hole I accidentally made in the wall, I killed the rose bush, I’ve left a cobweb in the corner just because it looks cool, my kids are naked most of the time and never go to bed when told.

At the moment my living room floor is covered in 2 types of train track, 2 bean bags, 3 handbags, a paper cutter, a huge tub of craft supplies, 2 blankets, one duvet cover minus the duvet, me and a collection of reading books, do any of us need to see that?!

These, and about 1 bajillion other things make up the beautiful mess that is my life and I wouldn’t change a thing.

But that doesn’t mean I want to record and share every single piece of chaos. I live with it everyday, I don’t need to keep a record of it.

more insta love

When everyone is asleep and I have 5 minutes to do nothing but peek in to the lives of others {window twitching without getting caught} I don’t need to see that they also have a playroom covered in Lego, a mountain of laundry which will never be conquered, burnt dinners or whatever else is causing a mini meltdown. Not because I don’t care, but because I have all that and more surrounding me 24/7, and I know you do too.

So a little escapism in to a world where you can walk barefoot, white walls remain white and have a day without housework whilst enjoying a a perfect cup of coffee before it goes cold appeals to me like you wouldn’t believe.

insta pics

What I do need to record are the moments that make me feel calm and able to stand on yet another damn piece of Lego without cursing up a storm. The ones I can look back at and think

“Wow, those flowers really looked beautiful…before I killed them”

“That cake looked amazing….yet tasted so so very bad”

“Oh yay, my hair looked fab…who knows if or when that will happen again”

“That is the most precious hug my boys are sharing…so glad they put their clothes back on”

These are the moments I want to see when I feel as though I’m about to snap and scream like a crazy lady gone wild.

So for now I shall keep posting my pictures which avoid the clutter, chaos and everyday crap that is our lives and instead share pictures that make me happy, not to make anyone feel bad but purely to make myself feel better.

10 comments :

  1. oh how I love you - you say what everybody else is thinking - and why is it that people always think that the grass is greener on the other side. It isn't - I think it is that people like to try to be perfect but none of us are we all have our own little ways even the queen and her family we all burp fart and shit and are scared of the future - just most don't like to admit it - whatever our age status or origin - keep up being you - you write an amazing blg

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post - I have one in draft about why I will never have a show home like those in Pinterest. No one is perfect, and everyones version of perfection is a little different anyway xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Making me feel normal about my chaotic mess, but still inspiring me to try and see the beauty around me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and feel the same way as you. I find Instagram and Pinterest so inspiring. I can't believe we have a bank of such wonderful ideas at our fingertips. I'm not very creative so I'm truly thankful that I can pop online and have a look at what other people are doing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! No-one wants to see the crap, we have enough of it at home. Pinterest and Instagram wouldn't exist if all we put on it were dirty dishes, laundry piles and grazed knees x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This rings so true. I have crazy mess around me all the time but I love to see pretty things. I'm taking part in an Instagram challenge at the moment and today's theme is "desk". I could have just snapped my chaotic desk, but actually I tidied it up and photographed it looking good, as an inspiration to try and see it like that more often! It won't last, but it's nice to remember it looking good and not grotty. Popping by from #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another reflective & fabulous post...
    Here's to making the most of the chaos at home with your boys & treading on stray bits of Lego for many years to come. These are the things you'll cherish the most when they're all grown-up and gone x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree! I love to see the good things, I am like this in day to day, I like to see the good in people even if the bad is showing through I try to focus on the good and that is exactly what I like to do on my blog and when I am looking too! I don't want to see the bad in people/life/things I want to see the good, why is that a bad thing? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This should be given, awarded the most brilliant blog post. So true in every way. Thank you for saying this that I want to say. #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post so much, I too want my blogs and social media domains to be happy places, I do share the hard times too and relate to others who do too but on the whole I want you to enjoy yourself and I want reflect mostly on the fun, the good times, the love between my sons, all the picture perfect moments that really were perfect in real time! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10