The Simple Things ~ Family Ties

I have always been envious of those big, close families. The kind where they really get along, as friends as well as family members.

My own family is a little weird; we don’t all get along, some of us haven’t spoken in years and a fair few have never met. But they’re mine and I love them all the same.

remember

This weekend we travelled to Wales and spent a few days with the outlaws, it was a glimpse of just how close my own family could be.

It was a bittersweet experience to say the least.

Seeing my boys interact with their cousins, auntie and uncle was wonderful. Straight away they were comfortable enough to clamber up them for hugs, request piggy back rides and run off on adventures and dog walks. Their immediate attachment to relative strangers was heart warming and made me rather envious; I’ve never felt that comfortable around my own family.

Whilst we may live 100s of miles apart the past few days have made me realise just how important it is to encourage the blossoming friendships developing between the boys and our extended family. I see letter writing, Skype and weekend visits playing a big role in our future.

cousins

How do you encourage your children to build relationships with family members? As silly as it sounds, I’m really rather out my depth here.

2 comments :

  1. That photo is gorgeous! I can understand the bittersweet feeling, my family has fallen apart over the last 15 years to the point now where I don't feel I have any family - apart from Hubby and the kids. Then Hubby's family come round, and they're great, but they're not mine...! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on communicating. My children have close relationships with most of their cousins - it helps that they are only a couple of years apart in age. We regularly swap children in the holidays (they are about 2 hours away) and their cousins are probably their closest friends. However my brother lives further away which makes it all a lot harder, his children don't mix in as easily simply because we don't see them as often. As my boys are getting older they are also playing on-line games with their cousins which helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10