Woodland Fair

“If you go down in the woods today you're sure of a big surprise…”

Last week we went to the woods and they were full of surprises!

A bear carved out of wood using chain saws!!

Wood Fair chain saw carved bear

Last Saturday we pootled off to visit the Bently Wood Fair, which is “a celebration of woodlands, forestry, timber, trees woodcrafts and much more...” I honestly think events such as this should be compulsory for children to attend. Not only so they can gain an appreciation for our woodlands and the efforts needed to maintain them but to view and learn crafts which use natural resources. Too many young people spend way too much time indoors or attached to to a device of some kind rather than get out in to the real world.

Whew, mild rant over!

As soon as the boys clambered out the car they were off running, with so much to see and do, they really didn’t know which way to turn.

They have been itching to have a go at archery, so off we went to see the The Archers of Herstmonceux Castle, who were fabulous tutors.

Wood Fair archery

archery

Once they had fired all their arrows it was off for a wagon ride, and oh my gosh was it a bumpy ride. I seriously wanted some motion sickness tablets, the boys naturally loved it!

Wood Fair wagon rides

Once into the woods the boys were off investigating everything!

This lovely lady was so patient explaining everything she was doing from spinning and dyeing wool to how she made her tea!

Wood Fair the boys learning about spinning

There are several houses scattered throughout the woods which intrigued the boys no end.

Wood Fair Ahren and Ethan thatched house

Wood Fair house

The boys really enjoyed seeing all the different ways in which wood can be manipulated in to different things, from reindeers…

Wood Fair the boys and reindeer

to crates…

crates

to carvings…

Wood Fair wood carving

and chopping boards!

Wood Fair chopping boards

Two of the things I loved seeing made were the wood flowers and wood burnt pencils, obviously I just had to buy some!

Wood Fair pencils

Wood Fair gatherings

Wood Fair wood  flowers

All in all it was a really lovely day out, which we all totally enjoyed.

If there is a Wood Fair being hosted close to you, I really do recommend you go, there’s so much for everyone to enjoy.

Woodfair

The boys were knackered by the end of the day, with Ethan channelling his inner ET whilst Ahren totally rocked his farmer with a walking stick impression!

ethan is et Wood Fair Ahren and his walking stickCountry Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays CornwallClarinasContemplations

Comments

  1. I just love the look of this. I know all my children and Farmer Nick would have enjoyed it too. I had Nick and the kids make those reindeer last christmas and we put solar christmas lights on them, the best decorations we had! All the carvings look very skilled and so clever the way they have made the fair fun for families with plenty of learning too. I'm right behind you on your rant, exactly why I began Country Kids almost 3 years ago. thank you for joining me with such an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a brilliant day out, my girls love this sort of thing. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the sort of event I love.....and usually see the notice a week too late. Children always come back so inspired. Like the idea of named wooden boards. Especially along the edge. A garlic board would be very useful. #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your rant! My kids would love spending a day at a wood fair and especially enjoy the archery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love events like this, we always used to go to Treefest in Edinburgh and the boys loved it! Those flowers are gorgeous, I think I would have had to buy those too :) #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went there on the Sunday with my Dad, it was so nice! It's great that there were so many child-oriented activities; wish I'd had the chance to do all those things when I was a child! Did you see carving of the bears in the canoe? They were so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic day out, I love the wood carvings and wouldn't mind a couple of those pencils myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw it looks completely brilliant! Just the right place for little ones - I know my boy would love something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing event to attend. I agree that it should be imperative to attend such events. Kids needs to see the facets of nature and that is what I saw here. I wish we have something like this in here near us. i love for my son so be see how archery works as his Dad loves it and I am planning on learning it too and I reckon if he can see how it works he will love it and we can all have lessons together. Sorry my comment doesnt have direction. Its just that this post made me think of so many ideas =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the eyes of wonder and also of focus when they were doing archery, if i was there i would have snapped up that apple box

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my dad would have loved to have exhibited here (he's a woodturner) and The Boy would have really enjoyed exploring all the crafts as your boys did. I love the photos of them holding hands.

    Nipping over from Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! I've never even heard of a wood fair before, but this looks utterly fabulous! How lovely! I may have to go and research this now...! #SavouringtheSeason

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!