I’m Living With a 5 Year Old Teenager

I thought I had more time.

I’m barely able to accept my babies can walk and talk and do a whole host of things independent from me.

At 5years old Ahren and Ethan are still in that adorable stage; they still want cuddles, they hold my hand, do a whole bunch of things which highlight their innocence and are just perfect.

They can be annoying; they pee on the floor despite being sat on the loo, laugh at my lack of willy, make so much mess and then look so adorable that I feel horrid whenever I have to tell them off.

But times they are changing, and it’s not a good change.

Ahren has aged 10years over the past few weeks.

bro hugs

It was subtle changes at first.

He was being told off for something and he rolled his eyes at me. It may seem a little thing, but he’s 5! To say I was shocked was an understatement, he was told not to be so disrespectful and to not do it again.

He’s done it again.

He’s also gained attitude when apologising for things, the sarcasm and plain ol’ derision that comes across when he says sorry is astounding and has led to him being sent to his room numerous times.

But yesterday he took it too far, my already stretched to the limit patience snapped.

Ethan fell over and grazed his knees, there were a few tears and a cuddle to make him all better.

Ahren just stood there laughing at his brother. This from the boy who will break down sobbing when he falls over was a horrid response and very disappointing, he knows better.

Once I had Ethan sorted I turned to Ahren and asked why he was being mean, his response

“He always falls over and is going wa wa wa all the time. It’s annoying”

I asked him how he responded when he fell, and if he would like it if people laughed at him. He then replied

“Mama I find you annoying, you’re always telling me what to do and going blah blah blah”

My jaw just about hit the floor. He’s 5 and mouthing off like a surly teenager

We had words, or rather I had words, he listened and looked rather upset at being called out for his attitude.

The annoying thing is, I know this isn’t him. He doesn’t really understand what attitudes are, he knows respectful behaviour but hasn’t grasped the realities of disrespectful behaviour.

I can only assume he’s copying someone or someone's.

Honestly I’m at a loss as to what to do with him, obviously I want to nip this behaviour in the bud before it escalates in to a more serious matter, but he’s 5, and I’m not sure how to address a teenage problem with a 5year old, what do I do with him?

Comments

  1. oh so funny - I know this ! #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean - our oldest (who, now seven, is still on the whole a lovely and polite boy) suddenly discovered attitude at a similar age and seemed to become 12 overnight. It's strange, isn't it? I think we kind of assume they will grow up gradually, but actually they do it in massive leaps and bounds. They'll be teenagers and refusing to talk to us at all before we know it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed a huge change in my son when he started school in September. He's coming out the other side now. I found it was a case of rewarding the good. I felt like I was on repeat and constantly telling him off. One day he would be an angel and the next he was awful. He will get through it though. You will just need patience by the bucketful. #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds exactly like my 5 year old, flipping heck it's hard work isn't it! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!