Wild & Free

As the garden falls even deeper in to the clutches of Autumn there is little colour to be seen other than greens and browns, which whilst ok are a poor substitute to the array of colours which flourished a few months ago.

As I was pootling about the garden, slinging worms back in the soil, chopping back straggly plants and marvelling at the sheer strength of a spider’s web I noticed the wild flowers had finally all gone to seed.

They were a rather pitiful sight. Gone were the delicate petals to be replaced by dull husks full of seeds.

But, whilst not pretty they do hold lots of potential, which is why I gathered them up and rescued the seeds.

wildflower seed husks

Some of the seeds were a little too eager and had begun sprouting whilst still inside the husks, not sure what will become of these so I just tossed them in a planter and wished them luck.

sprouting seed pods

Simply rolling the husks between my not very green thumb and forefinger was enough to encourage the seeds to fall from the husks.

wildflower husks and seeds

wildflower husks

burst seed husk

I shall once again go with the “scatter and see” approach to growing wildflowers, fingers crossed these dull unassuming seeds will produce some glorious wildflowers in the new year.

wild flower seeds

wild flowers

How Does Your Garden Grow

Comments

  1. Lovely post and your photo of the sprout coming out of the seed husk is fantastic. I'm also saved lots of seeds this year, fingers crossed they grow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you!! i so love wild flowers. it's just too bad they don't really do well here in miami...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to next year's blog post when you can show us photos of the results! The promise of the inevitable return of Spring and of all the new life it brings is what gets me through those gloomy doomy days in January and February. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photos of all the husks and seed! It's almost making me inspired to look for some ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have every good intention when it comes to seeds from the garden but I never seem to get it right! I read about rocket seeds just after mine had completely shrivelled up. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo's of the seed pods. Fingers crossed they sprout next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, your photos are stunning and so full of potential. I can't wait to see what grows next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. its strange that something so boring looking can create such stunning flowers :-) .. good luck to your seeds x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo's and I was looking at my wild flowers earlier thinking I really do need to rescue the seeds soon. Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeds! Yes! I have been collecting some today too having spied grandads old Acer has suddenly got helicopter stylee seed pods on it. When quizzed he told me it is the first year that's happened so I'm determined to get the seeds and plant them!
    Can't wait to see all those flowers next year, growing bright and bootiful!

    Thanks for joining in again sausage, ruddy cold by the sea here today - how about there?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your posts always show the most simple, natural wonders in life. Seeds, flowers, drift wood, sunsets, beaches and landscapes. Your blog is always so calm and naturally beautiful, it's such a lovely place to come and visit x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How organised! I tend to admire the seed heads of the dying flowers not thinking about their potential for more life. Love the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab pics - and I don't think I've ever seen a seed sprouting in a seed pod before! It's the bonkers weather, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much potential there, and they make for beautiful photos, too x

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yes i have been collecting seeds too, i really love the dried structures of seed heads and i can see why you took pictures of them dying yet still there is hope of new life

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always think it is amazing that such small unassuming seed can grow to something to beautiful. Here's hoping you get loads of flowers next year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos that show how much beauty can be found in the garden at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!