How Does Your Garden Grow

..soggy and windswept.

Oh my, what an awful week, I’ll be honest and say I really haven’t bothered with the garden lately, the miserable weather is just no incentive to get out there and do anything!

I did manage to get out yesterday on the one dry morning we’ve had and was wonderfully surprised by the resilience of some flowers, the winds and heavy rain of late have wrecked a lot of the plants and flowers, but a few hardy buggers cling on.

My favourite of which are these funny little things, they remind me of bottle brushes, just prettier!

dainty and purple

There’s huge bushes of them, just chock full of pretty little purple flowers.

all the purple

Another flower that seems to be holding on is the rosehips, a few are looking rather sorry and pitiful, but hold beauty nonetheless.

raindrops and buds

perfect bud

tatty

Can we just stop a second to appreciate the crazy strength and determination of these roots? Whilst destructive in their own ways, I do admire their tenacity.

roots

Rather fed up of all the shoddy weather and lack of anything pretty in the garden I treated myself to a few carnations, the simple flowers are the best!

bringing outdoors indoors

I also nabbed a few battered and tattered petals which had been blown down in the crazy winds we had yesterday early morning, so pretty, I might just have to use them in some handmade paper.

morning walk gatherings

Linking up to the garden and outdoors inspired How Does Your Garden Grow

How Does Your Garden Grow

14 comments :

  1. wow! all that miserable weather paid off! look at all that beauty. loving those purple flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling a bit the same. So cold and windy it feels like there's a long way to go before spring. Lovely to see the roses though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that even at this pretty bleak time of year there are flowers powering through. Beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our back lawn resembles a mud patch, always does this time of year. It's almost dangerous to tread on as you can go flying. I find this time of year a bit of a challenge, but it won't be long before those bulbs start blooming (hopefully!) Lovely to see some colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh I love your photo of the carnations! Bonne Maman jars making great vases - I've got a few kicking around that I use for the same thing. I am envious of the bright colour you have in your garden at this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last picture of the petals almost smells of summer! Did you get round to making the paper?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo little bottles! Carnations! Yay! Funny you are talking about the fascination of roots, I spent ages staring at a cut log today and marvelling at the rings. I love how much colour you have found , I am craving pinks and yellows at the moment. Feels like Spring is so close and yet so far doesn't it?
    Thank you for joining in again :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fascinated by your handmade paper. It seems such a lovely way to preserve flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The remains of the tree in the wall is amazing. Looking forward to seeing the homemade paper. When life gives you lemons eh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the roots in the wall too - they are awesome (but also know of their rather destructive power as we have similar). Handmade paper? Would love to know how to do that! Gorgeous post honey x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those roots are amazing, they look like they're in a wall which can't be good. I'm agreeing with the soggy and windswept though, hopefully crisper (and warmer) days are on their way

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're very lucky to have so much garden colour in January - I bet it was a real lift seeing all that when the weather has been so filthy lately. I love your carnation display, it really suits the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah so pretty Amanda and those roots? Incredible! Initially when you wrote 'what an awful week' I thought you were talking about something other than the weather. I was so relieved to find out that you weren't talking about your life! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every day I would pick my son up from school and I would use the prom and would see those purple flowers since I can remember. They are just there! Yes they are so resilient not just from the cold but from the wind as well. And they never fade. Always the same vivid purple =) #hdygg

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10