Heartbreak in the Celebrations

Every birthday the twins have is a wonderful privilege and heartbreak all at once.

It’s a sad fact of life that not every parent gets to experience their child's birthday for one reason or another, and for each one we are able to share I shall be forever grateful.

bromance est 2009

Yet seeing them grow year upon year, developing skills and personalities which take them further away from the innocent and totally dependant babies they were, my heart breaks a little more.

Gone are the babes who really did need me for everything, now they are startlingly independent, and they are only six. This independence will only grow until mama is no longer really needed unless in times of crisis and they come running home.

But, now is not the time for tears, I’m a proud mama to two extraordinary, wonderfully unique young boys who have learnt more in the past six years than I give them credit for.

They have…

Learnt to walk, run, hop, skip and jump.

Learnt to read, write, scribble, draw and colour outside the lines.

Made friends, forgiven others and learnt when it’s time to walk away.

Grown enviable confidence and a “couldn’t care less” attitude to what others think.

Taught us the joy of not taking things too seriously.

Shown determination to succeed.

Learnt the joy of the most simple of things…a cardboard box, bubbles and rainbows.

Developed an interest in learning, trying and finding joy even in failure.

Learnt how to dress themselves.

Taken responsibility for themselves.

Shown kindness to others even when not deserved.

Learnt to make the most of situations they can’t control.

There are so many other things they have learnt, and they are still learning, developing and making me one proud mama.

So, whilst I quietly lament the loss of my babies and their sweet innocent dependence on us, I celebrate the wonderful young boys they are growing in to.

3 Children and ItPost Comment Love

13 comments :

  1. Beautiful post Amanda. Your boys look adorable and cheeky to boot. You deserve to be very proud, you and them have come so far. Such a gorgeous collage of photos. What a fab little duo! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah MumofThree World9 April 2015 at 16:48

    Too right! What a lovely post about two amazing boys. No wonder you are proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! Bless them! They sound and look lovely boys....You have every reason to be proud x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely reflective post. It goes far too fast doesn't it They are very gorgeous by the way and love the photo montage. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. It is tough when they seem to be growing up so quickly. I am there with a tissue every birthday, it is a real mix of emotions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boys seem like amazing little people who will one day be great men. They're a credit to you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara (@mumturnedmom)9 April 2015 at 21:58

    This is a beautiful post. It is bittersweet isn't it? But, for all that I am sad to see my babies go, I am so excited for each new stage :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your boys always look so happy and close - it's a credit to them and you how they've turned out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louise Fairweather10 April 2015 at 10:06

    Whilst I long for a baby cuddle I am far more excited about the little people they are growing into. Happy Birthday to your boys x

    ReplyDelete
  10. rebecca beesley10 April 2015 at 14:42

    Gorgeous boys. I'm feeling all emotional today as my youngest son has gone away for a church weekend and it's his first time away from home. It's made me dread the day they all leave the nest! #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merlinda Little10 April 2015 at 19:50

    Awww this is such an emotional post! Being a parent is bittersweet! The older they get the more we let to let them learn by themselves. Bittersweet! #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  12. City Coastal Lifestyle12 April 2015 at 12:07

    Wonderful post, your boys are lovely and full of life. And yes, not every parent gets to experience their child's birthday, me for one but I am grateful for what I still have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Victoria Welton16 April 2015 at 11:38

    what a wonderful post - and I totally empathise with your feelings. I love Grace's age where she is now and I really don't want her to get any bigger. By the same token, I am excited to see what the future has in store for her. Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10