Parenting, it’s not always easy

Apparently honesty is the best policy, except when it comes to admitting the realities of being a parent.

As a mother to 6 year old twin boys I’ve been through a lot of good, bad and ugly times with them. I’ll gladly put my hand up and admit being a parent isn’t what I thought it would be; it’s better and more rewarding than I could have imagined.

But it’s also so so much harder than I possibly thought.

Everything changed, in ways I hadn’t considered and was unprepared for.

It’s important to remember there are no prizes for parenting, we will all get the same shit, piss, vomit covered t-shirt.

We all stumble through days with the same bleary eyed, sleep deprived vacant stare wondering if we will ever sleep again.

We all think about our long lost spontaneous sex life and wonder if it can ever be noisy and uninterrupted again.

Longing for days when you can head out the door without military precision planning of taking every possible outcome in to consideration happens to us all.

Being judged and found lacking for your parenting style will happen. No matter what you do, someone will disagree and judge you for it.

Feeling like a failure when you can’t settle, sooth or ease whatever it is that upsets your child will happen more often than you’d like .

There’ll be times they disappoint you, when you can’t help but think they could have done differently.

We’ll all hear the same “I hate you” and “You’re the worst…..EVER” bellowed at us when we’re just trying to do the right thing.

There will be times when you wonder what on earth you’re doing, and that’s okay.

Because being a parent doesn’t come with instructions, despite all the good natured books out there, you will make mistakes, feel like a failure and think you need to put a brave face on it.

But you don’t, admitting that parenting isn’t always easy and that at times you want to walk away is normal.

I think ultimately, being honest about the not so great side of parenting can only make you a better parent and partner. By recognising the not so great side, you’ll appreciate the good times and positive moments all the more; knowing how quickly they can turn in to an exploding nappy, screaming temper tantrum or moody silence.

dahlia and petals

Random none post related photo, because well, I like it!

And then the fun began...

3 comments :

  1. Izzie Anderton23 June 2015 at 09:16

    Never easy is it... no matter how old they are, there are challenges to overcome and issues you struggle with as a mum. My daughters might be 20 and one of them currently living in the US - it doesn't get any easier though. Great post, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise Fairweather23 June 2015 at 10:13

    Totally agree. I am getting fed up of people pretending on social media that everything is fine and dandy when actually it is hard work. Infact I wrote a post about it last week after someone wrote on facebook how it is easier the more children you have. Ummmmm not for me. Sorry I am a bit grumpy this morning better stop here before I go into a massive rant! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you and agree with Louise's comment. There's awhile new set of challenges at every stage and age of both theirs and our lives

    ReplyDelete

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10