Learning To Love The Night–Time Wake Ups

One of the biggest sacrifices you make when becoming a parent is the amount of sleep you get; night feeds, cleaning up vomit, nappy changes, cuddles, administering drugs, worries and early wake ups  are all things which chip away at those hours of slumber.

I’m not going to lie, for the longest time I was rather resentful of how quickly the children were able to nod back off whilst I’d lay there waiting for sleep that never arrived. It was totally irrational of me, but lack of sleep rarely makes for logical thoughts!

As the years have progressed the night-time wake ups have grown fewer and further between, and now instead of  harbouring resentment I've learnt to cherish those few moments when only mama will do. Realising there will soon come a time when they no long wake at random hours wanting to check their parents are still close by has made me appreciate the fact that I'm still needed, as they say, there is a silver lining in everything, you just need to look for it.

I thought I would share with you some of the more comical 3.47am wake up calls I’ve received recently, these are all Ethan, Ahren is like his mama and loves his sleep.

“Mummy, mummy, muuuuumeeee, I love you”

This was incredibly sweet, if not for the fact he was asleep before his head hit the pillow whilst I was cursing up a storm after tripping over my shoes, stubbing my toe on the door and stepping on Lego.

“Mummy, MUMMY! Can I have bacon for dinner?”

This wasn’t so sweet, he still had breakfast, lunch, snacks and scavenging to go before dinner and he was already making demands, plus it totally had me craving a bacon sandwich.

“Mummy, mummy it’s dark when I close my eyes”

I really wanted to respond with ‘No shit’ but I refrained and tucked him back in bed where he promptly fell asleep.

“Mummy, mummy I had a dream a tarantula was crawling up my arm”

This one was just urgh, I hate spiders and putting this thought in my head ensured sleep was no longer a possibility or I’d be the one waking up screaming for my mummy!

But the “best” middle of the night wake ups from my boys are when they want the loo, not only do they want me to turn the light on for them, but they want me to “stay and chat for a while” which I do, because no parent loves anything more than trying to get their kid who fell asleep on the loo back in bed!

bro hugs

Comments