A Measure of Time

When I think of ‘classic’ I think of old cars, books written by Charles Dickens and Jane Eyre and music my parents listened to.

truck-238523_1920 old-books-436498_1920 acoustic-guitar-336479_1920

At no point have I ever considered something I enjoyed during my youth being considered ‘classic’, at least not until I was reminiscing with the great grandkids about mosh pits and pints of snakebite & black.

Surely I’m not that old!

But apparently I am. I somehow stumbled upon an article on classic rock music, I expected to see Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac and anyone who was at Woodstock, what I didn’t expect to see were the songs which were realised during and helped shape my somewhat misguided young adult life.

Bands like Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam and Red Hot Chili Peppers all now featured along side AC/DC and The Who.

It’s an odd feeling, realising you are growing older and that those things you once enjoyed as fresh, new and innovative are now relegated to a period in history considered classic.

It made me want to crank up some Metallica and Pantera whilst I reminisce about the ‘good ol’ days’ before I realised that I’m old enough to not only say but actually have ‘good ol’ days’ to reminisce about.

Growing up is weird.

Comments