Calm Before the Storm

I’ll be the first to admit that I have mixed feelings about the Summer break.

Whilst I relish the idea of throwing routines out the window and spending time with my children, just the thought of throwing routines out the window and spending so much time with my children has me breaking out in a cold sweat.

So, with the impending break up of school I decided to take a day away from everything and spend a bit of time trying to find the much needed calm required to get through 6 weeks with Ahren and Ethan.

Thankfully summer had finally arrived with blue skies and warm weather, perfect for a stroll along the beach.

early morning pier

I decided to head away from the promenade and walk along the beach at the foot of the South Downs cliffs, this part of the beach always seem quiet compared to the more popular areas with easier/safer access, but if you’re ever in the area and time and tide are on your side, I really do recommend you take a walk away from the beaten track.

weathered groynes

Unlike other areas of the beach front where you can see repairs being made as and when necessary, this section seems to have been left alone to bare its weather beaten signs of erosion. It’s easy to underestimate the strength and persistence of the sea until you see the constantly changing coast.

time and erosion

It was a nice change to walk at my own pace without having to keep an eye on children determined to get themselves in to trouble of some kind.

beachy head lighthouse

I also managed to find some sea glass to add to my collection, yay!

seaglass

Before long, walking in a daze and letting random thoughts take over, I reached the point where it was time to turn around and head home, walking over the South Downs to avoid being caught by the rising tide.

thistles

As I pootled along, avoiding bees and stinging nettles I tried to think of ways to keep the kids entertained during the holidays, before giving up and deciding to let it play out as it will, we’ve never been good at sticking to plans anyway.

south downs and wildflowers

Before long I was almost home and preparing myself for the ridiculously hectic last few days of school…Summer Festivals, best friends leaving school, retiring teachers, school reports, teacher gifts, attendance awards, ordering uniforms, arranging play dates…and the list went on.

wildflowers by the beach

Now, we’re in to our first week of Summer break, the children are officially bonkers and in true British Summer tradition the sun is no where to be found, it must be time to buy new wellies!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10