Fading Beauty

I’m always rather fascinated with the decay of a once vibrant flower, the transformation from a bright, open and fragrant bloom to a limp, almost dirty fall of petals is at times a sight to see.

Few flowers make the transition in such a stunning way as the peony.

peony bloom

Until recently the closest I’d gotten to a peony was via Instagram, I was at once enthralled by their unique beauty and was thus ridiculously excited to purchase my first bunch.

The first few days were rather impressive, these tightly bound balls of petals, which I really wanted to bonk on Spencer's head, began to unfurl.

peony bloom 

Never having seen the “inside” of a peony I was amazed at just how many petals there were.

peony bloom

They look rather ridiculous in the most fabulous way.

peony bloom

peony bloom

peony bloom

Over the next week or so I watched with interest as the blooms opened to their full display before gradually beginning their decline.

It’s intriguing to see something once so beautiful quickly fade to nothing more than a shadow of its former self.

faded peony

faded peony blooms

faded peony

faded peony

faded peony petals

Most of us disregard cut flowers as soon as they show any signs wilting, which is a shame as I do believe we miss out on such an extraordinary transformation.

fading peony

Whilst not as aesthetically pleasing as a fresh bouquet, the wilting process itself is something rather magical to see.

Comments