A Victorian Flower Album

Last week as I was heading off to London I noticed our station had a small selection of books, if you saw one you liked simply pop a donation in the charity tin and the book was yours, and honesty box library I guess.

Well, with my ridiculously inferior knowledge of anything remotely plant or flower based when I saw ‘A Victorian Flower Album’ by Henry Terry, I chucked all the money I had in my purse in to the charity tin and gleefully skipped away with the most delightful book.

A Victorian flower album

‘Collected and painted in the summer evenings of 1873, as a pleasing recreation’

Doesn’t that just sound like an idyllic way to pass the time? Can you imagine how many of us would bother to record the flowers of the seasons without our handy phone cameras?

RED CAMPIONS

Henry and his 3 children would spend their summer days collection wildflowers from around Oxfordshire, which Henry would then capture with watercolour paintings. It’s a rather unique and lovely record of the simple ways in which a family enjoyed spending time together.

all these from Wheat  Stubble Headington

There are few flowers around to cross reference with the book, what with it not being summer, but that hasn’t taken away from my excitement at recognising a few favourites.

MAY - AUGUST

The details are amazing, from spelling mishaps to naming the places the flowers were found and how long they bloomed for. Each page is a treasure of information.

July - August

Whilst our garden is looking rather abysmal, there are still pop of colour to be found.

I collected these from road verges whilst out on Sunday…

before

I didn’t think to do anything with them, so over night then dried up a little. They still look rather lush!

after

If you can get your hands on a copy of ‘A Victorian Flower Album’ I really do recommend it. I shall now have a think as to how we can incorporate more colour in to next autumns garden, I’m not liking this blandness at all.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank's for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate each one!

09 10